LOPcagney

TF2 Thumbs Tournament

I like 2Fort, but found out last night it's not so much fun for anyone when there's a super-human sniper on the other side of the central courtyard.

Likewise when five people on an eight person team decide to be snipers and all refuse to change class - they all had higher individual scores than anyone else on either team, yet their team didn't win a single game because only two of them were actually trying to get the enemy intel :fart:

Which is more a by-product of a lot of people being fucking morons, not the map.

I love 2fort, as long as I'm playing with non-moron teammates. Then you can counter any strategy.

2Fort is a classic map, it wouldn't be Team Fortress without it. Plus it does a really good job of making you feel secure and territorial while in your own fort, and daring and adventurous when mounting an expedition into the enemy fort.

But yeah, the only reason to have a sniper on that map is to suppress enemy snipers. Also people way overestimate the value of engineers in it (actually that goes for the game as a whole - perhaps because the sentry gun has such massive firepower lots of people are scared of it and therefore assume it is the best weapon. I've seeen so many teams fail because they had too many engineers).

2Fort is a classic map, it wouldn't be Team Fortress without it. Plus it does a really good job of making you feel secure and territorial while in your own fort, and daring and adventurous when mounting an expedition into the enemy fort.

But yeah, the only reason to have a sniper on that map is to suppress enemy snipers. Also people way overestimate the value of engineers in it (actually that goes for the game as a whole - perhaps because the sentry gun has such massive firepower lots of people are scared of it and therefore assume it is the best weapon. I've seeen so many teams fail because they had too many engineers).

Same is true for snipers. I play sniper mostly, and it's funny how some maps just lend themselves to sniping. You'll find yourself on a team with 4 other sharpshooters killing the 5 sharpshooters on the other team without ever really gaining any ground and have a little "why are we here" moment. It's funny when people play support classes and have nothing to support.

The thing about snipers, even with just a couple, is that if they don't go for the rest of the enemy team rather than just the opposing sniper, they aren't doing much good.

Apart from downing the odd scout running along the top of the bridge and the occasional lucky shot on someone jumping down, too often, I end up in a sniper duel on 2fort while everything else goes on below. I'm sure that's mostly because i'm not an excellent sniper, but I find I can do far more damage sneaking up onto their battlements as a spy or pyro.

Yeah, I do find it pretty annoying when there's about five snipers on the same team and you can't get anyone to help you mount a decent offence or defence.

I do enjoy a bit of 2fort sniping though, though I tend to use the lower levels of the fort (ie: the front doors) so I can get all the guys coming over the bridge. The same bridge obscures me from the enemy snipers pretty well too. :tup: