toblix

Portal

Having just completed it, I have to say this: Holy shit, this game is awesome! As I got closer to the last challenge, I was thinking "Hey, this seems a tad short", but then...

...all the cool stuff afterwards and that totally fucking awesome ending saved the day!

Now to play again with commentary!

The climatic moments themselves are particularly enjoyable but that ending was something else (:clap:) it actually brought a big smile to my face which doesn't happen often concerning games.

In terms of negatives; I was actually getting a little annoyed with the later challenges. Not because they were difficult but because it was a bit of an eye strain with all the movement going on in the environments (and equally the movement expected of you!)

Level design was also a bit 'Half-Life' at times, with the main tiling in particular appearing quite amateurish (or slap dash) which is a little disappointing when the level of detail in some of the token textures (and/or decals?) were so amazing. I just feel they could have gone down a different avenue, like they did with TF2 for example.

Still it was a blast, and I didn't look back once I got going. I completed the main single player game in about 3 hours so it wasn't as long as I'd initially hoped - but at the same time it probably would have outstayed its welcome any longer. I've also not tried any of the bonus material such as the extra levels or difficulty settings - not to mention the commentary which I'm sure will be interesting.

Definitely gets a thumbs up from me. I never expected the world (merely a diversion) but it ended on a high note and that's took it up a notch in my estimation :tup: :tup:

thumbscx9.png

Idle Thumbs group statistics.... Portal beating EP2 so far :mock:

Did anyone who completed the game get the username and password for this tie-in website? http://www.aperturescience.com/ according to RPS you type LOGIN and use the information from within the game to discover some shit - but I never came across any username and password?

Yeah, it's in...

test area 15 i think, there's a little gap in the second part of the area where you can see a bunch of photos of the companion cube

(DO NOT HIGHLIGHT TEXT IF YOU WANT TO DISCOVER IT YOURSELF!)

It also contains some random writing on the wall including the login details. Here's a screenshot (again don't click on link if you don't want to see): http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2j1ubvc&s=2

Me too, that was more laugh-out-louds than I've had in a long long time, from game or film.

Remember that time when the platform was moving into the fire and I was all like "we're going to kill you" and you were like "oh no" and then I was like "not really". Great times.

I want to play the end again so I can hear more of the monologue, since it was often cut short by my "activities".

also:

Who else felt bad for the companion cube?

Having just completed it, I have to say this: Holy shit, this game is awesome! As I got closer to the last challenge, I was thinking "Hey, this seems a tad short", but then...

...all the cool stuff afterwards and that totally fucking awesome ending saved the day!

Now to play again with commentary!

I had exactly, point-for-point, the same experience and opinion. It still felt a little short, but it worked as a game. It was solid and it wasn't overly pretentious or too shallow. I'd compare it to a well-written short story in that it's as satisfying as a full novel without the additional length and content. This is the only 3-hour game in recent memory that I would recommend buying for $20 (which seems pretty steep). I just came away feeling good all over, which is a rare experience these days. I'd say it beats out Episode One in almost every respect, including storyline.

Hopefully we'll see a ton of user-created content coming soon.

AND Jonathan Coulton did wrote the theme song. What more could anyone ask for?

Agreed on every count. What a brilliant, hilarious game. Play it. Plaaay it! :clap:

I don't know if I'm as enthused about it as the rest of you. The presentation is great, yes, and the writing and so on... but something doesn't feel right to me. I think it might be that I approached the game strictly as a puzzle game (after playing the likes of Crush and playing around with that Echochrome protoype) and in that sense it's a little flawed. I don't think the puzzles really scratch the potential of what they were trying to do. In some places it felt like the "live fire" and "instant death water pits" were there strictly as cop-outs for better level design. A sort of FPS approach to a puzzler, really (can Valve even make a game without guns?)

Level 10 on advanced was particularly frustrating. You can often see the way you need to go but to get there you need perfect accuracy and twitch reflexes to avoid instant death. It gets annoying reloading over and over again. The levels that really work are the ones you explore and try to figure out, at your own pace, what to do without the dread of death.

That said, I really, really hope there'll be extra content for this.

Also: getting medals, silver and gold, is really fucking hard.

I want to play the end again so I can hear more of the monologue, since it was often cut short by my "activities"

Yeah me too. I did manage to catch an interesting line that possibly alludes to the HL universe (aside from the Black Mesa stuff)...

During the final battle GLaDOS mentions that you don't want to leave, because you don't want to see what's happening outside right now. Also that you don't want to destroy the her since she's the only thing keeping them away. Of course, considering how much she lies throughout the game this could just be another one.

Also, while there are too many funny lines to pick out one as my favourite; this one just came to mind: "I didn't even need that unit. That unit was for making shoes for orphans. I'm glad you destroyed it."

It was really satisfying as a new way to interact with a 3D environment. I felt the same kind of thing the first time I played Katamari Damacy.

One of the things I liked most about Portal was, near the beginning, I found myself in an empty room with no obvious exit at what felt like the end of a level. So many FPS games have accustomed me to just wait for a cutscene or scripted sequence in that situation that I did.

Then after about ten seconds thought "Oh duh! Portal gun" :)

Yeah, I noticed a bit that had the classic "corridor full of pneumatic people-squashing devices". Ordinarily in an FPS you would have to time it right to get through without being crushed. I almost attempted it before thinking "duh, portal gun"

So who else thought

she was using reverse psychology towards the end? I figured the little round module was something like a bomb at first so I ignored the 'ploy' to not pick it up - at which point she started (I thought anyway) using reverse, reverse psychology :hah:

Was hilarious picking it up and carrying it around too, although initially I thought it might have helped me solve the puzzle and so took it to go look at things before realising I had to incinerate it :(:D

Who else felt bad for the companion cube?

Well, I did for one, but

who tried to save it in vain?

your emotions are wasted if you didn't at least make an attempt and enjoy the various voice-overs :D

I didn't let it go any further than the one something like:

'If the Weighted Companion Cube could talk, and the Enrichment Center reminds you that it cannot, it would say:

"Go on. Incinerate me. I would like to continue with you, but it can be no other way. I do not want to be a burden."'

But I really want to go back to a lot of places in the game and see what other voice samples it has. Biggest laugh was at the one Dan quoted above about the oven thing :)

Absolutely fantastic game. The end was awesome. :tup:

I felt some parts were a little easy, especially towards the end. But then again there's the bonus extra hard stuff and with people making there own maps I'm sure there'll be plenty to keep me going a little longer.

One thing I enjoyed...

I tried carrying one of the sentry guns through the confiscation barrier at the end of the level, which caused it to disintergrate and cry "ieieieieieieieieieie".

Yeah me too. I did manage to catch an interesting line that possibly alludes to the HL universe (aside from the Black Mesa stuff)...

During the final battle GLaDOS mentions that you don't want to leave, because you don't want to see what's happening outside right now. Also that you don't want to destroy the her since she's the only thing keeping them away. Of course, considering how much she lies throughout the game this could just be another one.

My interpretation:

The way it was phrased, I thought she said that she was the only one keeping *you* away from them. As in, to get to *them* you need to go through her first.

Favorite lines:

"The weighted companion cube does not talk. If you do hear it talk, Aperture Science cautions you to ignore its advice."

Also, without spoiling much: "We had some good times together!"

After killing a turret: "I don't blame youuuu."

I was waiting for tremendously boring gameplay demo, and got this. :eek:

The gameplay and level design weren't really that interesting, but the computer guiding you was fucking awesome! Same goes for the emotional turrets. And the cube. The ending was absolutely brilliant as well. And translated in Finnish. :confused:

I wonder if it was always their intention to make the game be like this or did the idea come afterwards.

My interpretation:

The way it was phrased, I thought she said that she was the only one keeping *you* away from them. As in, to get to *them* you need to go through her first.

Hmm, possibly. But having listened to it again i'm pretty certain it's

the external threat ("them") she is emphasizing.

Here's what she says: http://n1nj4.net/~ferrio/random/halflife_tie_in.mp3 (Obviously do not click... blah blah blah.)

Hmm, possibly. But having listened to it again i'm pretty certain it's

the external threat ("them") she is emphasizing.

Rephrasing my thoughts (massive, massive spoilers):

In Aperture, you're isolated from the outside, tucked away safe from the combine invasion. Winning your freedom only boots you out into an alien military state. So it's a case of trading an immediate threat for a larger, more dangerous one.

Rephrasing my thoughts (massive, massive spoilers):

In Aperture, you're isolated from the outside, tucked away safe from the combine invasion. Winning your freedom only boots you out into an alien military state. So it's a case of trading an immediate threat for a larger, more dangerous one.

Yeah, and I'm not debating that

she's not a threat or that her intentions are "pure" so to speak.

Rather I'm just pointing out that it was an external threat being referred to.

Did you guys spot the slide show that was showing in one of the offices near the end?

There you can see what aperture science was up to before she became too powerful

Do you mean the one that mentions BLack Mesa?

You can get a full history of Aperture Science at the secret website mentioned above. Type "list" to see the files available, then "notes" for the potted history.

Basically:

portals were originally developed as a more advanced shower curtain :D

Story aside, anybody trying the challenges? I just got my first silver on the first one and plenty of bronzes on the "least portals" challenges. Still trying to figure out the one with the turrets and the companion cube -- I'm off by one on both of those. Any tips?

Also, are the time limits for the "time challenges" the same on PC as on the XBox? Anyone know? If they are then it's retarded as it's obviously slower and harder to aim on a 360 controller.

I've done half the advanced maps, but not tried the challenges yet. I just finished playing through again with dev commentary as well.