Sign in to follow this  
adfegg

XBox Live

So I could use a little help with connecting my new 360 console. I'm wanting to connect wirelessly using a Wireless Networking Adaptor, but the network isn't being detected, though I'm sure the settings are correct.

The instructions suggest removing any obstacles between the console and the wireless router, and there is one. It's called a wall. If the router was in the same room I wouldn't need to connect wirelessly, I could use a cable.

So I guess my question is this: Is my Adaptor effectively useless?

I'm running wireless in my house and it was unusable until I switched the "channel" it was broadcasting on. Then I could use it anywhere--even outside.

Check your router's settings and see if you can change the broadcast channel/frequency. That might help.

Also: your thread title is 100% inaccurate. :shifty:

Well, I am planning to connect to Live once I get the console online, so I guess...Actually, no - you're still right.:frusty:

Are you using a generic wireless adapter, or the official Microsoft one? I had no end of trouble using a Linksys adapter, but as soon as I popped in the Official Microsoft Xbox 360 $50 Overpriced Wireless Accessory, it worked fine.

I'm using the Microsoft one.

I've yet to try changing the Wireless channel. I can see the option to do so(it's currently set to 'Auto') but my brother is the network knowledgeable one in the household, and I'd like to know what effect changing the setting will have on the network.

EDIT: Tried it, didn't work. What's strange is it does seem to be connecting to the wireless router OK. It's just not connecting to Media or XBox Live.

i had problems setting up wireless because the settings option was hidden and the auto setup found nothing at all.

I went into setup and manually added the DNS info, subnetmask, WEP key and all that other gubbins and then it was fine, found it no problem.

Remember it's a pc under there, it's basically just windows, which is shit.

The initial setup did nothing but tell me i had no wireless, i had to look at the details of the error and there is a little hidden settings button which lets you edit all the settings manually... sorry that's a bit vague, i didnt commit it to memory.

but yeah the automatic initial setup thing was useless.

I didn't find the network set-up procedure to be a problem at all. Even though it's not basically Windows, how would that make setting up the network any more difficult?