toblix

BioShock - They weren't kidding...

Well, you don't really have to think about it. 2400+ is as fast as Intel's 2.4GHz. Of course, these days it's a lot more complicated with your dual cores, quadruple cores and whatnot. I've no idea which AMD processor would be similar to Intel's Dual Core E6300, if any.

Heh, yes, it's pretty confusing these days. The Intel processors used in the dual cores are derived from Pentium M processors (or something), which aren't really comparable to the single-core Pentium 4 processors that preceded them as the market standard. Using the ghz rating for judgement is a bit tricky.

I'm not sure what line the BioShock requirements refer to exactly, but it sounds like you're probably in the right ballpark for performance.

One thing Vista genuinely had the right idea with is the game performance rating. Every 'Games for Windows' game has a performance score like this:

bioshock_score.jpg

It gets your own system's rating by running a bunch of intensive tests, kind of like 3DMark except without the pretty show. I think it's a great idea, and because the maximum score is indefinite (ie: the maximum you can realistically get right now is around 6.0, but this will rise as hardware progresses) it means it can work well equally as indefinitely, even if the meanings of processor numbers change, etc. :tup:

As much as I like this game, the wharf area is just terrible. The whole thing feels like something out of a mediocre 90s shooter.

Toblix, I'm drunk and I hope I don't sound too severe or anything, but you seem to be either disappointed, confused or both by any given game. The wharf area is still better than any given area of FEAR. It's great. All of Bioshock so far is great and I wager I've played more than you have. I don't know, please give games more of your time to prove themselves?

Teee, it has to be said I really don't think I've ever known anyone to be as generally critical and dissatisfied with games as toblix. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing (it's your own play time), but man you are hard to please. :eek:

As much as I like this game, the wharf area is just terrible. The whole thing feels like something out of a mediocre 90s shooter.

Ahhh, I disagree, that part was my favorite!

Minor, minor, minor, minor spoilers, but just in case:

I'm only on Arcadia, but the wharf area was my favorite so far. It was so heavily layered and teeming with life. It really felt like a living, breathing city. It wasn't pristine or beautiful, it was the home of Rapture's working class and it felt like the citizens of Rapture had really built the place out of whatever they could find. I also love how every balcony is accessible and that it's by far the most vertical level so far. It just feels really... real. It's not just a gauntlet shooter with pretty scenery: the beauty of the place feels like it happened naturally and that the world was designed not a corridor for a generic shooter but to be a functional city.

What? I'm loving this game, come on! I just think the wharf area sucks, although with this talk of balconies I don't think I've seen all of it yet. I haven't gotten farther than the second room, with the rocket turret and gene splicer thingy. I'm sure the rest is fantastic, alright?

What? I'm loving this game, come on! I just think the wharf area sucks, although with this talk of balconies I don't think I've seen all of it yet. I haven't gotten farther than the second room, with the rocket turret and gene splicer thingy. I'm sure the rest is fantastic, alright?

Haha, sorry. Didn't mean to respond so aggressively. I was just really enthusiastic about that part of the game. :grin:

So, what's the deal with the Little Sisters disappearing? I attack their guardian and quickly die. When I come back and finish the job she's gone. Does she escape when there's fighting around or something?

It is frying your components as it gives them the hardest workout ever. :tup:

So, what's the deal with the Little Sisters disappearing? I attack their guardian and quickly die. When I come back and finish the job she's gone. Does she escape when there's fighting around or something?

They don't always have the Little Sisters with them. They can lift the Sisters into those portholes.

Yeah, that was what I thought was one of the coolest aspects of the game that wasn't well explained before the game was released. The whole gatherer/ protector ecology goes far beyond having a single little sister assigned to a single big daddy. The big daddies go lumbering around finding little sisters, who travel independently in the vents, and call them, protecting them for as long as it takes to harvest some corpse's Adam. They always talked about how difficult it was to fine-tune the gatherer/ protector interactions and only after playing the game can I truly understand why.

I guess that makes sense. The whole "saving" sequence, with the touching and screaming and little sting music thingie is so beautiful.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I installed the demo, fired it up, got past the plan crash scene (it looks freaking awesome) but then it loads the second level and then dies horribly :(. It even causes problems with my entire system and ntdll.dll. I had to restore my system back 5 days to get my PC to work properly again ><.

:tup: for what I saw though (like a whole minute of gameplay :shifty: )

Anyone else having that problem?

I've had one crash that ended up in a BSOD, but other than that it has run great. Ly?

Yay for 360! ...unless I get red ringed. Please god don't let me get red ringed at least until after this game is finished.

The 360 version has problems too apparently. I hear there's an issue with the sound cutting out that occurs on both platforms.

Haven't run into any problems yet, but then I'm only just at the second bathysphere now so I'm not sure when they're supposed to crop up.

The 360 version has problems too apparently. I hear there's an issue with the sound cutting out that occurs on both platforms.

I've actually had that happen. It's annoying.

On the plus side, I didn't have to buy that silencer for my machine gun.:mock:

The second I typed that I realized how stupid it sounded.

Also, on occasion, with the graphics turned up higher, the big daddy's torso used to disappear when I watched him from a distance.

I'm not sure how credible this sounds, but I'm convinced that my PC warms up to Bioshock as it plays, eventually humming along at a speed well above the frame rate of the first minute of gameplay. It might be just the initial "OMG what do I do with this" when I pop in the game that causes bugs.