Marek

Averting the climate crisis

How concerned are you about climate change?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How concerned are you about climate change?

• not concerned
    • just a little concerned
    • fairly concerned
    • very concerned
    • extremely concerned

Agreed. Very well put. Not nearly enough people have it spelled out to them that whether climate change is our fault or not, we still end up having a higher quality of life if we just fucking take care of ourselves.

Nachimir, awesome post. I get sick whenever environmental groups pitch global warming as "save the polar bears". Fuck the polar bears. The message should be: save your own interests.

To your list of benefits I would also add economic growth. Switching to green technology etc. creates a lot of jobs. The UK seems to be benefiting a lot from its aggressive carbon-reduction goals.

Agreed on economic growth. Fossil fuels are going to die one way or another, but green energy looks like it could make us very prosperous.

There are many pros. However, one con I remembered yesterday is that biodiesel is beginning to price poor people out of food markets (e.g. corn in Mexico). Not sure that's such a good idea...

I think the majority of the people who don't believe in the climate change are the ones who just don't want to believe that anything bad is happening - and that they don't have to do anything, and there's nothing wrong in what they are doing - and want to comfort themselves.

The climate changes "naturally" as well, but that's not the point, the point is that pollution, CO2, etc. by people can greatly affect thet climate. Just by studying the substances and their role in forming the climate, I don't think it's that difficult to see what's happening.

Then again, I don't believe the most extreme view (which is along the lines of 'the world will be compleltely destroyed during the next ten years'). It didn't happen ten years ago when people were saying the same thing and it isn't happening now.

I'm also pro-nuclear energy. It's a lot simpler way to solve the pollution problem. Besides, so far nuclear power has mostly been replaced by non-renewable energy sources, not by renewable energy sources.