Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Why I hate you, and the internet

Hmm, yes, I guess I too agree with the general sentiment of the first post. It was just the incredibly hostile tone that made it objectionable. That and the apparent desire to attack people on these forums, all of whom I think are awsome.

Ok, I've just had my own hate the internet moment so I'm going to vent spleen in what is almost nearly an appropriate thread.

Check this shit out,

http://www.destructoid.com/dr-phil-trying-to-steal-jack-s-thunder-oprah-is-not-amused-31042.phtml

What the fuck is that about?

Dr Phil is 100% percent correct in what he said, yet somehow the oversensitive gamers single shared mind thinks it's an attack on games and wildly attacks Dr Phil!? To me it doesn't read like an attack on games at all. He makes a very good point about the results of soaking the mentally suggestible in a violent environment. He says,

Violent Games/Movies/Whatever + Nutcase = BADNESS

He also says that society will have to deal with that equation. Take Jack Thompson, for example. He's trying to solve it by reducing the Violence part of the equation by getting rid of violent (and suggestive) games. Of course, if you take away the violent games then those of us who aren't Nutcases lose out because....

Non-Nutcase - Violent Games = SADNESS AT ONLY BEING ABLE TO PLAY PONY GAMES

Sorry Jack, not going to happen.

The other extreme might be to remove anyone suspected of being a Nutcase from the streets. I really don't think that'll happen either.

The final option is for society to suck it up. Accept it happens, move on. I don't think that's going to happen either.

If you're now thinking "OH NOES! WE'RE DOOOOOOOMED!" you've forgotten something. Something that's easy to forget when you're suckling from the dribbling and exotically decorated teat that is the internet. You've forgotten that a moderate path exists.

What can be done? I ain't no brain sturgeon, but it occurs to me that awareness of the problem is a major factor. Give the condition a name, maybe Environmenal Suggestability Disorder (ESD) and start wacking people over the head with it until they understand that...

Violence (not just games) + ESD = TEH BADNESS

Put an ESD warning on games (and other violent materials) that warns that anyone suffering from ESD could be adversely affected by it. Maybe that nice Simon Bates could do a voice over. I don't know, some crap like that.

No, it won't be any more directly effective than "Winners Don't Do Drugs", or "Epilepsy Warning", or my all time favorite "May Contain Nuts". But we don't need a direct effect. Educate the people and they'll police themselves, as I just said (I like to cite myself, especially mid-sentence, to support my own arguement).

So, ah, I've run out of spleen now and I just don't care about this topic anymore. I'm sure I started this with a point, but hey, this is the internets - where existence is defined by word count (swear words score triple). I can feel the central-brain calling me back in to the fold. Dr Phil's a dick.

Put an ESD warning on games (and other violent materials) that warns that anyone suffering from ESD could be adversely affected by it. Maybe that nice Simon Bates could do a voice over. I don't know, some crap like that.

If it gets taken notice of, it'll become a badge of honour for morons. "Duh, look a' me!" I can't help feeling it'll have the same effect as slapping oversized age rating stickers on games though, i.e. none whatsoever.

And that still wouldn't keep this sort of material out of the hands of anyone who really wants it. What could the government do--test every single person and then categorise what they can and can't have?

I appreciate what you're hoping to achieve with this scheme would be a change in attitude, but I just can't see those susceptible/responsible for events like the Viginia Tech shootings suddenly having a lightbulb moment. Nor the people responsible for their welfare (or lack thereof).

To be fair Tantrum, the first line quoted in that article

The problem is we are programming these people as a society

is horrible tabloid rhetoric. Programming people! Brain-washing! Oh noes! Why can't we brain-wash them to be nice instead?

So I can see why destructoid readers reacted badly to it. then again, who cares about Destructoid?

Jeez, I haven't read the forums in a while (sorry, been busy) and I come back to read how much Yufster hates me.

That's okay, I love you, Yufster. You and all other bitter, angry forum posterswho have no particular reason to be bitter or angry.

Seriously, what's the argument here?

Forums wind up as flame wars. This has happened since the beginning of time. Don't feed the trolls, etc.

You don't like reviews. So don't read 'em. I like well written reviews. I read GameSpot's reviews of any game I'm interested in. I also read reviews at EDGE, IGN (mostly PC), GameSpy, etc.

As 'rants goes, this one was pretty odd. It was a rant against ranting. Snuh?

one, and I hated writing it, as you can tell by the shit half-hearted writing, probably.

It was while I was in denial about how much i hate reviews and myself.

I'm going to change my opinion of you if you don't shut up pretty quick

:grin:

Non-Nutcase - Violent Games = SADNESS AT ONLY BEING ABLE TO PLAY PONY GAMES

heheh, pony games!

He might be okay with us playing animal crossing too. although the whole character moving away if you don't pay em enough attention bit might be construed as encouraging social isolation. ;(

He might be okay with us playing animal crossing too.

When I visited jaf's town, I wore a hockey mask and chased him with an axe. Then I gave him a nurse's outfit to wear, before we beat each other senseless with butterfly nets.

Good, clean, wholesome fun...

When I visited jaf's town, I wore a hockey mask and chased him with an axe. Then I gave him a nurse's outfit to wear, before we beat each other senseless with butterfly nets.

It took me a moment there to realise that you were talking about doing these things in-game.