Sign in to follow this  
adfegg

The Long View

This was on the Radio 4 about a week ago. Doesn't really tell us(i.e. us gamers) anything we don't already know, but it's nice to hear non-gamers discuss the issue intelligently. With the exception of Keith Vaz, of course.

longview.zip

Umm... maybe you could give us a hint what this is about before we download this zip. What "the issue"?

Umm... maybe you could give us a hint what this is about before we download this zip. What "the issue"?

The issue is that it's Real Media.

OK, that's wacky. I saved the file to my desktop from the BBC website. I assumed it would stay the same file there no matter when 'listen again' was updated. Guess not.

I'll give a quick sum-up of what I remember. The episode was, obviously, discussing the perceived evil influence of video games on society. It also mentioned the same of the influence of several other new entertainments over the centuries including rock music and, I kid you not, novels:getmecoat. Apparently someone seriously suggested that a young person could read about a fictional act of violence, then go out and duplicate it.

It also pointed out that this was a pattern which seemed to recur whenever a new technology came along. This made me stop to think: With the periods between technological advances becoming ever shorter, could it in the future get to the point where this pattern is widely seen for what it is?