Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Hold it! GBA Phonenix?!

Reading an article on the next Phoenix Wright game for the DS, my eyes caught this little quote right here: "We were great fans of the first Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney on Nintendo's handheld. Sure, it had been somewhat seen before on GBA".

OBJECTION! Are there other games like Phoenix Wright on GBA? Even remotely like Phoenix Wright?

I'm starting to think I should look at GBA games...

The first four cases of the US version of Phoenix Wright were originally released for the GBA in Japan, I believe. I think there were several other Phoenix Wright games released in Japan for the GBA as well.

Yeah, Phoenix Wright was a launch title for the GBA in Japan, as Gyakuten Saiban (roughly Courtroom Turnabout or Comeback Court, depending on who you talk to). There's been three games. The DS one we know and love is the first GBA one, Justice For All is the second GBA one, and there's a third GBA one too. Japan will be getting an all new DS one fairly soon, with a different art style and characters, as well as more new cases.

If you have the Gyakuten Saiban 3 rom, you can patch it with this and play the first case in English. It's a flashback case where you get to play as Mia.

Yup, Gyakuten Saiban 4 coming to the DS in Japan soon, 1 through 3 already out on GBA. If it helps, we actually are benefiting from the DS versions, as case 5 was totally new and I believe there's something similar planned for Justice For All.

But I can't wait until later. I want all those games right now!

Oh, and anyone know how the double meaning of the word muffler was handled in the original Japanese version, or the French one? Or wait, was that the new, non-Japanese version? Well, the French, then? Mufflér?

It seems that the Japanese version (Gyakuten Saiban 1 on DS) handles the muffler thing in exactly the same way; "muffler" is a loan word in japanese and gets katakana treatment: マフラー (mafura). This loan word is used for both car mufflers and a lady's scarf.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=%E3%83%9E%E3%83%95%E3%83%A9%E3%83%BC&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=wi

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=mafura&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=wi

I can check this out properly for you if I play case 5 all the way to the first court scene in Japanese mode, but that would be HARD

Would that be the same translation as the one in the later European release, or some half-assed Japanese English version? If the game's already translated, why are they waiting till 2007?

Would that be the same translation as the one in the later European release, or some half-assed Japanese English version? If the game's already translated, why are they waiting till 2007?

My PW1 is the same deal as this (Best Price Capcom cheap thing) and the translation is identical to the european one (I checked). Delaying the release to 2007 is a fairly logical marketting thing, seeing as the first game is selling really strongly following reprints.

Oh and the european version contains at least the french version so the localization takes time.:frusty:

And the extra case is also in the Japanese version?

Yes.

Aside from having to tap the English mode button when starting the game, it's just like the english language version you get in English-speaking countries. It even detects the language of your DS for deciding which name to display for the cart in the DS launcher thing (where you see the DS cart, GBA cart, settings and pictochat)

So, order the Japanese version so I'm not constantly searching for the English one when it comes out here? (took me about 4 months for Ace Attourney... :frusty: ) It's the same as Justice For All will be? New turnabout and all that? If so, I'm placing a preorder tonight. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I originally ordered the fancy-pants Japanese version of Phoenix Wright for the same reason. I even taught my mum how to select "English" from the Japanese selection so she knew how to do it herself. Now that she's played through the whole of the first one, I'll have to fight her for the sequel! We thought we were going to have to wait until early next year, but when we found out it was getting a full English translation again in the Jap release, we were thrilled!

(Mum really likes Edgeworth. But who doesn't?)

(Mum really likes Edgeworth. But who doesn't?)

He is one classy, classy guy. That does it. I'm ordering now. I got a coupon from when I ordered my Bitgenerations games too, so I'll use that. Cheap gameage ahoy!

Heads up - if it's Play Asia, you'll need to make the order over $50, otherwise the coupon won't work. Quite a bit of swearing before I figured that one out.

I love Play Asia, they give me free crazy Japanese candy whenever I buy a new Game Boy system.