Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Gibbage + Indie game programming

Hi Everyone,

Good to see the forums finally back up, and ripe for a plug.

Dan Marshall is writing a game, 'Gibbage'. It's a cartoon deathmatch platformer that Dan has created from scratch on his own, teaching himself to code along the way. He's chronicled this in PC Zone magazine, and as the game is nearing completion, Dan's set up a blog reprinting the articles. It's a really good read, and he'll soon be giving more in-depth tales of the basics of self-taught bedroom programming, so check it out.

The website is not up properly yet, but you can download the demo for free.

I implore you all to check the demo and blog out, and give Dan feedback on the blog if you wish. It's a brilliantly fun game, with the emphasis on gameplay, and as an Indie Game, fighting against the chart-clogging corporate tosh we put up with, it needs all the support and attention it can get.

Thanks,

Ben Ward

Thank you for plugging that properly and not in a spammish or viralish way. Will check it out.

Cool, thanks Marek. I'm not sure what a 'spammish or viralish' way would have been, but I'm glad I didn't do it!

Hope you enjoy it. Dan's hoping to make a real splash with it. Hopefully it'll be a breakout smash for Indie Gaming, but the best way for that to happen is good word-of-mouth, so thanks for the support.

B

I gave it a go but I got the blue screen of death in the tutorial before I even did anything :sad:

Looks kinda cool, but I'll wait for a solid demo with compatibility and such worked out before I give it a try. The blog is pretty good though. Being in Canada and all, I've never seen a PCZone in my life, so it's good to be able to read that stuff somehow.

Oops! Sorry Nick, as Miffy observes, the current demo is really 'proof-of-gameplay' only, and not all technically sorted out etc. There will be a lovely, updated demo released at the same time as the full game.

However, it runs on most systems we've tried, so it's still worth a try. And if not, the blog gives you the bestest page of PCZone's previous months for free, so that's always worth a read while you wait for the spectacular spectacular that is Gibbage.

B

Heh no problem ;) It was on my work PC which is a pile of crap and I'm leaving the company today anyway (wehay! :D)

I'll give it another shot on my home PC later :tup:

Man, this is really annoying. I can't further than starting a level, and then it crsahes, while the players are "materializing".

Please do email Dan with technical problems/queries - he may be able to help, or at least explain why it won't work!

[email protected]

He's happy to help if he can, and eager for any feedback.

Hope you have more luck soon,

B

Played it over at the school computers and had some awesome fun with it. It's super fast and I'm in love with the graphics.

Sadly, there's not a whole lot of geeks at my school willing to sit down and play computer games, so I just played against the A.I, which is kind of depressing. (Mostly because it's loads better than me.. :shifty:) I'm in love with the concept of bringing the power cubes over to your central. Keeps you on your toes.

I'd give it the :tup: but I'm gonna wait until I've played it against a REAL HUMAN BEING! And played in something other than the tutorial.. :shifty: