Sign in to follow this  
AndyB

Why games feel irrelevant?

"I thought that some of the metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective....

...oh and er .... and the interesting rhythmic devices too, which seemed to counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying metaphor of the humanity vogonity of the poet's compassionate soul, which contrives through the medium of the verse structure to sublimate this, transcend that, and come to terms with the fundamental dichotomies of the other,and one is left with a profound and vivid insight into whatever it was the poem was about!"

hint: you are talking shit

Okay on this subject:

Yeah, the happiness of society, and world peace. He was serious too. Are you going to say that he was reading too much into his own game which he made and start yelling at him on a web forum too, or can you just be content with the fact that maybe while he has his own take on the game, he's also perfectly content with people seeing more or less in it than that, and be done with it?

I hadn't read about this, but I've just heard that apparently the premise for his game was to make it fun and simple so that people stop thinking about bad things in the world, blah blah blah.

Surely that would mean the game is really just supposed to be fun, and nothing more? Meaning there is no underlying social or political commentary, except whatever people can make up in their own heads? In which case it's not political commentary at all, it's imaginary.

also, this thread has evolved into god knows what... lets fucking end it.

So, if Kamary Damacy has this great inner meaning, and so does America's Army,then computer and video games, at least in your minds, aren't irrelevant at all. So youve answered your own question.

You can go on looking for these meanings and the rest of us can go on enjoying games.

What is funny, irony-a-plenty and worth noting is that the government paid for this game, tax money went into it, someone in the pecking order made the decision that kids shouldn't play the game if they could play as terrorists, that it would make them more prone to associating with them, liking them and so on, and decided to institute this little whammy. It is a window that shows a kind of insecurity of the institution that made the decision.

Analyzing the intentions of the makers always makes a creative work of any fucking sort more worthwhile. It adds another layer to it. Comparing the politics of Beyond Good and Evil with the predicament in which Canada is now (Hyllians = Canadians, Alpha Forces = Americans, etc.), is a fun thing to do. The stuff that unintentionally arises out of a construct can be even more interesting because it gives us even better insight of a creative mind.

Is the character of Mikhail in Psychonauts named Bulgakov for no reason whatsoever? Or is it an allusion to the author of Master and Margarita?

...which you should read, you vulgarian twat.

There is a distinct line between wankery and earnest inquiry. Wankers take themselves too seriously. The earnest inquirers are amused or fulfilled on some transcendental level by what they do.

also, this thread has evolved into god knows what... lets fucking end it.

So, if Kamary Damacy has this great inner meaning, and so does America's Army,then computer and video games, at least in your minds, aren't irrelevant at all. So youve answered your own question.

You can go on looking for these meanings and the rest of us can go on enjoying games.

It's profoundly recontextualized my 'notion', Spaff. Profoundly.

Also Kingzjester, you're talking bullshit.

Is the character of Mikhail in Psychonauts named Bulgakov for no reason whatsoever? Or is it an allusion to the author of Master and Margarita?

Yesterday, I actually TOLD somebody that by the end of this thread, you'd have said this.

I'm going to be a huge bastard and post in this thread after it's closed because I didn't get to be in it before.

I'd just like to say that it's lame that Yufster never responded to this:

* Now, "Rolling things up makes me giggle" was of course a part of why he made the game, but that was one piece in a larger reason which was all related back to projects he had made while at art school, his thoughts on the happiness of society, and world peace.

Yeah, the happiness of society, and world peace. He was serious too. Are you going to say that he was reading too much into his own game which he made and start yelling at him on a web forum too, or can you just be content with the fact that maybe while he has his own take on the game, he's also perfectly content with people seeing more or less in it than that, and be done with it?

Katamari Damacy really was one part of his larger goal to achieve world peace and make the world a better place. So what makes Walter's interpretation so fucking unthinkable?

ARGH THAT TAKAHASHI IS SO PRETENTIOUS WHAT A BASTARD HE SHOULD JUST FUCKING PLAY GAMES

EDIT: Argh ok Yufster did apparently notice that, my bad. However she didn't really address it.