Marek

"Jet Set" Tony Hawk DS

Tony Hawk is coming to the DS, and it's cellshaded! DS continues to interest me in games that I don't care about on other platforms.

tony-hawk-ds-20050719011001359.jpgtony-hawk-ds-20050719011002437.jpgtony-hawk-ds-20050719011002718.jpg

It's nice that some developers have learned how to make 3D look good on the DS (see also: Ganbare Goemon DS) and not shitty like, say, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory DS, which looks like it escaped through time from 1993.

:peace:

Whilst I'm not sure I like the styling of Tony Hawk DS - those trees look hideous - I agree with your general sentiments. That other game you linked to looks nice. Dammit, I'm going to end up cracking and buying one of these DS things...

This looks fine and distinct. I'm not the target audience because it'll be a nippy day when I buy a[n extreme] sportsgame, but I'll say this: distinct.

Ha! Europe hasn't seen a Goemon games since the N64 era! :hah:

(In other words. we ain't getting this game)

Man, I love Tony. The direction taken with Underground and Underground 2 makes me sad. I hope this game is good.

I too love THPS, although I only played the first 3. I never played underground or underground 2 but I was tempted to get it on the PSP as it got some good reviews. Now I'll have to decide if I should get it on the PSP or get this for my DS. Or both. Or neither.

Wait for this and then if it ends up sucking just flip a coin. I didn't really like what they did with Underground, but Underground 2 was just ridiculous. It might as well have been called "Bam Margera's Pro Jackass Underground 2". I think Tony 3 was sort of the high point of the series. 4 was still quite good and they introduced a more non-linear system, which was interesting, but the game got a bit too easy I think. The series had been getting progressively better but also easier, and with 4 it just hit a point where you can grind stuff for ever, connect it with manuals, and rack up basically unlimited points. Doing that in the previous games was much more of an accomplishment because the manual/grind balance meter was much more finicky than the accomodating one in 4 (and THUG/THUG2).

Anyway, from what I hear, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland goes back somewhat to the direction of the pre-THUG games, which I'm pleased about, and I'd be quite suprised if the DS version took a THUG route just because it wouldn't make much sense on the hardware.

The graphics are good compared to the gameboy sp and other portables like n gage cq and stuff like that, but psp beats ds by far. :tup:

Also tony hawk games arent reely the best either way, because they are the most unrealistic games i've played when it comes to xtreme sports or whatever. :hmph:

Also tony hawk games arent reely the best either way, because they are the most unrealistic games i've played when it comes to xtreme sports or whatever. :hmph:

... why would you want a realistic extreme sports game? Granted, there is some allure to an extreme sports game where all you do is constantly break your legs arms and spine in gruesome, tragic ways when you fuck up a landing, yielding huge "GAME OVER" and "SPONSORS REVOKED" signs and stuff, but "realistic" doesn't seem like it would be all that "fun" for more than one game.