Sign in to follow this  
Kolzig

Nanostray

So anybody interested in this upcoming DS game Nanostray?

It's developed by Shin'en and published by Majesco.

02.jpg03.jpg07.jpg

Slowly awakening from a blast to the side of your ship, your memory is jumbled and you can't remember what just happened or what you're doing in this sector. Instinctively, you check your console; a destination is still plugged in. You must take action; the enemy is starting to swarm.

Nanostray is an intense, pulse-pounding 3D Shooter designed exclusively for the Nintendo DS. Supporting touch screen input, network play and dual screen support, Nanostray's arsenal of weapons, non-stop action and beautifully designed environments make this game one of the most exciting and innovative 3D shooters ever.

Here's couple of gameplay videos of Nanostray from Gametrailers:

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

It looks like a great combination of DS fun, 3d and retro gaming.

Wow, 3D done properly on the DS. Don't know how we missed that at E3...

Seeing this game I was thinking DS could sport an awesome version of Rez, since the gameplay was all about gliding your cursor around and lining up enemies before firing; the stylus is well suited for the kind of sweeping nature of action.

And games like Nanostray make me think the DS might be capable of reproducing the graphics of atleast most of Rez--though the bosses would probably have to be changed, especially the last one made of hundreds of tiny polygons. Oh man, rez. I wish my dreamcast still worked.

As for Nanostray itself, it's looking pretty slick, but based on the previous efforts from the developer on GBA I'm not sure it will have the mind blowing gameplay of Ikaruga or other Treasure greats. Who knows though, they probably learned a whole lot from those first two Iridion games they made.

EDIT: After looking up some Rez screens I have decided I am probably very wrong.

598_4.jpg598_1.jpg598_10.jpg598_9.jpg

seems like a fun game, but since i'm incredibly lame at shooters, i prolly end up either getting it when it makes it to the bargain bin, or just skipping it all together.

meteos, on the other hand, is coming out in 2 days, which im friggin extatic about!! :clap:

SiN

is there some kind of dreamcast emulator? Cause I reaaaally want to play rez :blink:

I'd not even heard of it. I'll definately get it though, looks great.

i played rez on chankast. make sure you make an image of the rez cd onto ... running it straight of the cd makes a bit of lag between sub-levels.

the backgrounds are a bit screwed up, and the sound is sometimes stuttery, but other than that, its a pretty good emulation of rez.

also, you'll want some sort of analogue gamepad for maximum enjoyment.

SiN

i played rez on chankast. make sure you make an image of the rez cd onto ... running it straight of the cd makes a bit of lag between sub-levels.

the backgrounds are a bit screwed up, and the sound is sometimes stuttery, but other than that, its a pretty good emulation of rez.

also, you'll want some sort of analogue gamepad for maximum enjoyment.

SiN

What kind of computer do you have? I don't feel like wasting my time if mine is woefully weak in comparison.

p4 2.8ghz, 512 megs ddr ram, geforce fx 5200 go

note that it is a laptop though. so if uve got a slightly lower spec'd desktop, it'll prolly work fine. what are your specs? ... i should be able to make a judgement based on that.

as for Rez on the DS, from a technical standpoint it's VERY possible because of the way the game is designed. uhh, not really bothered to explain why unless anyone is really interested (if you are lemme kno, i'll explain my reasoning), but yeah, its quite do-able, or at least a slightly stripped down version.

SiN

Wow, 3D done properly on the DS. Don't know how we missed that at E3...

Especially since it was at the MAJESCO booth... :)

Myself and a couple of friends got shown this by an enthusiastic Majesco tester. It really looks quite great, and plays nicely, too. I didn't use the touch screen to change weapons though, because I was too busy trying to stay alive. Good times.

Weirdly enough, I only found myself at the Majesco booth once, and then it was in passing and by accident.