Sign in to follow this  
Marek

Spore presentation from GDC now available!

PennyArcade as a very different opinion on this topic :

20050527l.jpg

It made me laught and I must admit some truth I found in that .

No, but they do create a more complete experience in my mind. Which is a personal opinion that I recognize for its subjectivity and relativity.

Ok, I understand you like it and it makes it more complete, I'm just saying not to confuse it with gameness, that's all.

and because he's obviously spent an hour sitting there, looking at his name - Will Wright - at the top of the GDC window, and in the slides window in big letters, and all over this thread. :frusty:

At least I corrected it :ratched:

PennyArcade as a very different opinion on this topic :

It made me laught and I must admit some truth I found in that .

What that PA comic says is basically what Alex said when we watched the Spore video, except while he said that, he was also expressing excitement over the game.

This does, to me, look like one of the more "game" games Wright's done in a while... since, like, Sim Ant (or Streets of Sim City, but I doubt that was him :)). It's got lots of fooling around, "toy"-like stuff, but it also seems to have a pretty straight forward upgrade and conquest tree system if you choose to actually go and advance through it.

[...] but it also seems to have a pretty straight forward upgrade and conquest tree system if you choose to actually go and advance through it.

So you say a feature of the gameplay in itself creates the goal of the game ?

Wouldn't it be like a platformer in which the player's only concern would be to collect the stars/coins ?[that might be a bad example]

The conclusion you somehow stretched and wrung out of my words has caused my brain to explode, sorry.

What I was saying, in many more words, was:

"In many of Wright's previous 'big' games, like Sim City, Sim Earth, and The Sims, there aren't too many 'traditional' gameplay objectives. Spore, on the other hand, has a lot of elements to it that more closely resemble traditional arcade games, RTS games, God games, action games, etc. For instance, in one part of the Spore demo, we see Will create a race of people, create their city, build vehicles and troops, and launch an attack on (or defend from an attack by) a competing city, which is something I'd expect to do in a more traditional RTS title, not a Will Wright sim game (except maybe Sim Ant). Spore is still very tied to Wright's heritage though, in that Spore is still mostly a bundle of very elegantly laid out tools that you get to tinker with over time."

Not a very complex observation, and by no means my "definitive" thoughts on Spore... it was just something I thought and decided to write down on the forums.

The conclusion you somehow stretched and wrung out of my words has caused my brain to explode, sorry.

Apparently you feel better now.

Okay, after those details I get your point.

Just watched Wright's presentation. I got the feeling like I had seen it before... Or something similar. Was there another presentation before this or perhaps the same video was available elsewhere?

Anyway, Spore is looking really cool, I can't wait to play (with) it.

So you say a feature of the gameplay in itself creates the goal of the game ?

Wouldn't it be like a platformer in which the player's only concern would be to collect the stars/coins ?[that might be a bad example]

more like katamari, methinks