well I am sorry and appalled. I apologize for the bad info, but until now heise.de has been quite reliable. It turns out that the whole article was a halfassed thing done by one of their junior writers. My thanks go out to Graeme for taking the time and effort to set things straight.

It turns out that even though the R500 (the 360s GPU) is in some ways comparable to the X700 there are differences in its architecture that make such a simple comparison unjustified and meaningless.

Hey, I only wrote the above because I had nothing to do at work this afternoon. Plus I'm tired of people just accepting some pretty extreme claims without questioning them. ;(

If you're interested in the ATI chip in the Xbox, take a look at:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nzcx

I don't think that the article is that strong technically, but there are two interesting points:

(1) The embedded memory on the chip contains a bunch of processor elements. This is what allows the Xbox to do anti-aliasing for free, and sounds like a Pixel Planes architecture. (SIMD graphics approach taken by the University of North Carolina - try Google or Foley and Van Dam for more.)

(2) ATI claim twice the performance of their top PC GPU for the Xbox GPU, so similar to the nVidia RSX in the PS3. However, Heise suggest that it might be half this based on MS's numbers. So there's another gap there. :)

Graeme

If sony cut 2" off the ends of the controller it'd look a hell of alot better. As for the PS3 itself I'd get a different look than they're offering it just looks like crap. I want my console to look awesome even if it is shit. Which I don't think the PS3 is. I believe if Sony can match or surpass MS's XBL service it will make old money bags Bill cry.