Sign in to follow this  
Marek

An analyst talks to GameSpot

I usually skip the typically business-oriented interviews with analysts, but this interview with a guy named Michael Pachter is really good and serves as a nice look back on E3.

E3 recap: Are sequels and WWII shooters enough?

Some interesting quotes:

I think companies are defining the mass market as "stupid people who don’t have any taste" as opposed to "people who are every bit as hardcore as the core but don’t have as much money." I think that there’s a mix.
I thought the DS was truly innovative, where the PSP is exactly what I thought it would be. The DS changes gameplay. It’s a whole new way of playing games, and that’s cool. I think the potential is incredible. And frankly, I think the DS takes the GBA audience from a range of 6-12 to an audience of 6-20, because it's going to allow for more-challenging gameplay. PSP doesn't even start until about 16 or 17 because of its price.
The Rare guys were great developers for the N64, but they didn't do anything for these guys. [Microsoft] made some really bad decisions. They should have bought EA.
Last is first and first is last. Sit back and let Microsoft fail.
(on making prediction for next year) Hip-hop. I’ll bet next year there are 50 hip-hop games.

I think companies are defining the mass market as "stupid people who don’t have any taste" as opposed to "people who are every bit as hardcore as the core but don’t have as much money." I think that there’s a mix.

Perso I will change "stupid people who don’t have any taste" by "people who don't really know video games so can't see if it's a shitty game or not".

It's true for lots of publisher especialy with Vivendi. But for example EA create real game for mass market, now they not really deep and often pretty simple but they are fun et they are really good in a certain way. In the same way we can say that Konami is mass market with titles like MGS or Dance² but they are quality games. I really think that things change.

I find the interview surreal in certain ways. I feel quite frankly too ignorant to say either yay or nay...

And Llama, how is what you said any different from what he said?

GS: When do you predict that they will embrace M-rated product?

MP: July 2013? I don’t know.

Hahahahaha that's just hilarious.

I should be studying..

And Llama, how is what you said any different from what he said?

for what ? for the sentences "stupid people who don’t have any taste" & "people who don't really know video games so can't see if it's a shitty game or not" ?

In fact the result is the same because they buy a bad game but the process is different. In a case they buy it because they like it and in the other it's because they don't know what they play.

"stupid people who don’t have any taste"

I.e. those who say:

"'After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC"

;):P