Kolzig

WTF?! Prey back from the dead?

pcgamerprey.jpg

So basically, more techno-alien sci-fi FPSing. :shifty:

Oh hey, look! Alien creatures you can throw. Haven't seen that before. Nope. Nuh uh. Not ever.

Just something that struck out at me seeing the cover of this magazine.

Prey

Duke Forever

Quake IV

Half Life 2

DOOM 3

All mentioned on the same cover, all bits of it included in the same magazine.

It's like, this one magazine has been an eternity in the making. The delay, and wait on all of these titles was astronomical.

That, and the irony is, they are all First Person Shooters.

We're so totally pwned by FPS in today's market.

TOTALLY PWNED!

I just watched the Prey HD video from Gametrailers.com...

While I was pretty much overwhelmed by the size of the worlds you get to explore there is a LOT of cornyness in there. But the graphics and the physics... I find myself almost overwhelmed by the crazyness happening all around. But now I definitely wanna play it

I too watched the E3 video today, and I have to say that IMO the game doesn't look that much like D3 anymore.

There's so much stuff that's different, and the game doesn't seem to be as dark as D3. And that's a good thing, this game needs to stand on its own feet.

Ahh.. this game is not going to be for me either, it seems. I'm yet to understand the beauty of shooting plastic monsters in dark (I guess we wasted all the fossil fuel after all) rooms that seem pretty impractical.

-You remember that creature I created for household cleaning?

-Yes, what about it?

-It ran away a couple of hours ago.

-Too bad. You can always make a new one, though.

-I guess.

-And I guess the creature can't do much harm either.

-Yea.. Except with that Rocket launcer I implanted in its arm.

So not for me. I rather play adventure games, or (if I have to) shoot stuff I can recognize.

What I really, really like about Prey is how on the surface it's an unpretentious 90ies era shooter, where Things Blow Up and Badass Stuff Happens in Occasional Huge Environments. It really tickles my nostalgia gland, reminding me of Duke Nukem 3D and especially Rise of the Triads, but also Descent and Dark Forces.

But at its core it looks like Prey actually has some really neat level design (assuming they'll design things such that you're not entirely disoriented) that no 90ies shooter ever did. All that portal and gravity stuff really takes advantage of the fact that it's a video game in which anything can happen, and I love it.

The sad thing about Prey is that it's the kind of game that doesn't seem that awesome on paper, or on screenshots. It took a gameplay video to actually convince me it's not as average as I imagined.

Ahh.. this game is not going to be for me either, it seems. I'm yet to understand the beauty of shooting plastic monsters in dark (I guess we wasted all the fossil fuel after all) rooms that seem pretty impractical.

I pretty much had the same opinion of the game up until about ten minutes ago when I watched the gameplay footage. Sure, the plastic monsters are still there, and they pretty much look like all the other plastic monsters we've seen, but damn. The gameplay looks awesome. It appears as though there will be enough interesting and cool situations happening that it will never feel like it's getting old.

But at its core it looks like Prey actually has some really neat level design (assuming they'll design things such that you're not entirely disoriented) that no 90ies shooter ever did. All that portal and gravity stuff really takes advantage of the fact that it's a video game in which anything can happen, and I love it.

Goody. I'm getting some good practice for Prey then from playing the milkman level in Psychonauts.

The sad thing about Prey is that it's the kind of game that doesn't seem that awesome on paper, or on screenshots. It took a gameplay video to actually convince me it's not as average as I imagined.

Why would it be sad? I'd rather actually play the game seing it in action rather than reading it on paper or looking at screenshots. The opposite of how things usually work in the industry.

I'm quite sur the Hi-Res trailer directly taken from the game was linked before so here it is : http://www.nofrag.com/fichiers/prey/videos/1043/E305PreyVideo.zip

I really don't know what to think of this game : it is the first game which features gameplay sequences that pleases me a lot while showing kitsh decisions on every artistic aspect [story, characters, design...].

Yeah; it also has the shell of a pure 90's game - as Marek said - but the thing is that the game seems to take himself pretty seriously and this is a huge change from Shadow Warrior or Duke Nukem.

So... I'm expecting a kind of Michael Bay's Con Air kind of feeling : lots of bad-good ideas wrapped with tasteless sense of story.

Did that last sentence make any sense ? :deranged:

Hmm.

The portals and gravity shifts look nice, but that video still contains everything I'm so tired of:

- Darkness

- Teleporting monsters

- Demons

- Teleporting monster demons that take half a minute of constant fire to kill, after which you yawn and prepare for the next teleporting monster demon

- Big, strange guns that shoot green things that go "bzloork!"

well I have been tired of the whole concept of running around and shooting stuff since halflife... but that aside, I still think there is some good stuff in there. I would just for once like to have a game where the lame "kill all monsters in this room to proceed thing" is not used... I mean you could just make it a console you have to go into to activate something and so you have to kill the monsters (or *gasp* sentries who have an actual working routine...) so they don't molest you ...

Another thing is, why does everything have to look badass? Why can't enemies be "not-monsters"...

Another thing is, why does everything have to look badass? Why can't enemies be "not-monsters"...

Maybe cause in that case people don't have to worry about whether it is right or not to kill. :)

But I agree, it's damn boring to shoot those badass monsters. It was so much fun killing these guys for a change.

That reminds me, someone should definitely get together with the Pythons and make a game... GOD, Python humour in a computergame... hahahaha

I had that Flying Circus game on Amiga. That was one crazy game.

But it was basicly your average sidescroller jumping game.

ah ok, I would have really liked a Monty Python game done by the likes of Tim Schafer in a sorta FPS version...that could be insane and with a genre as established (and outdated) as the FPS it is about time we got a proper persiflage