Sign in to follow this  
Guest James

Tabula Rasa

Guest James

The new MMORPG from Richard Garriott (Lord British to those with expansive memories) attempts to remove the genre from its statistic gloating rut in a post-Everquest mode. Set in a time of war, the story itself is one of remarkable promise and splendour. Garriott and Destination Games (including the likes of Starr Long) have a great history with (MMO)RPGs, so I'd expect this to be well crafted and dynamic; I just hope it's well authored, administrated and technically is not a slow coach (hand to hand combat), but shows great promise.

Tabula Rasa - Official Site

MMORPGs seem wonderful but unfortunately in the corporate world we live in bandwidth costs money so most decent MMORPGs cost a monthly fee. It pisses me off, because at least with some online games you buy them off the shelf and you dont pay for bandwidth or server costs. Id rather do that than have to pay every month like it's a service.

Maybe they should include billboards in the game, or random NPCs should be pimping sportswear or something as an alternative to paid service... It would be kinda interesting:

You my son have to go to the mysterious faraway lands of Stupor where in the dark and gloomy castle of Oblivion, behind the sparkly magical Curtain of Forgetfulness lies the magical Elixir of Life! You should bring it over here on the wings of haste embodied in your marvellous and noble steed Kodak for if you do not, all will be lost! Fly you fool! Go get me that Pepsi!

Maybe they should include billboards in the game, or random NPCs should be pimping sportswear or something as an alternative to paid service... It would be kinda interesting:

You my son have to go to the mysterious faraway lands of Stupor where in the dark and gloomy castle of Oblivion, behind the sparkly magical Curtain of Forgetfulness lies the magical Elixir of Life! You should bring it over here on the wings of haste embodied in your marvellous and noble steed Kodak for if you do not, all will be lost! Fly you fool! Go get me that Pepsi!

I pitched a similar idea to a co-worker programmer who was thinking of designing a mmo game (not necessarily rpg).

the premise of the game would be in medival times, where the Coke guild and Pepsi guild are engaged in an eternal struggle for supremacy. I thought it was a neat idea, but he didn't think it'd sell.

:(

It would be kinda funny to fight in an imaginary world for actual things with magical properties. People would dig right in. We live in an insane consumer culture.

It would be kinda funny to fight in an imaginary world for actual things with magical properties. People would dig right in. We live in an insane consumer culture.

I'd be the guy trampling you for the "enchanted $50 DVD player" at walmart, and then leave you on the ground with a collapsed lung.

Guest James

Yeah, a monthly fee is a pain the preverbials, but I suppose it can be justified for new content and constant administration. Hopefully it won't be too high, although with the dollar exchange at the moment, it's a great time to play.