Sign in to follow this  
Ginger

Metal Gear Shaky

Ok sorry for the horrible pun.

You're on patrol in a small 10 by 20 foot room, u hear a window break 2 meters behind u and the person u're patrolling with lets out a scream. What do u do?

Look behind u see he's been shot by a sniper and fall to the ground, or do as the as the AI in snake eater and casually gaze out of the window and think about breasts.

I was a big fan of the first MGS, I thought the AI was excellent( I restrain from saying ground breaking as i didn't have a PC that could play anything more than Red alert at the time so I don't know what was out on that superior format) in fact it seems so excellent that they've used the exact same algorithms in the 3rd game.

Is it wrong to want more from games where u fight human armies. I mean if army squadies can do it while under the control of inbred Oxbridge rejects surely a leet programmer could get his bunch of mindless models to do the same thing . U shoot at a base from a distance the men take cover, they sound an alarm, They send squads out from a position that u can’t see, they outflank u and intend to shoot u in the back of the head. U’ve got to move u can’t stay in one position maybe they’ll search the rest of the area u were in and fall prey to some traps u left. Next time they may act differently. Reality they hide behind a wall for 2 secs and then come out and shoot at u and wait to be awpped in the head.

Spend a while writing and testing more advanced AI in a game and there could be massively increased longevity and fun hence notably boast sales.

Tell me if I’m wrong to cuss the lack of advancement in AI in comparison to those of graphics. I’ve been poor and busy for a while so haven’t played any of the new batch of FPSs (except BF:NAM £25 for a mod but well worth it) to come out i.e. call of Duty, Farcry,ect… With all the 1st/3rd person war/counter-terrorist games I’ve played (which is a lot of them) making the game harder has always been done by making it so the AI shoot u as soon as u’re visible (sometimes even before then) with perfect accuracy. I know HL:2 may raise the bar but will that sink into the rest of the industry? Is there much out there beyond HL:1 in terms of AI? Or do I look back with rose tinted glasses while I stare into the present with an eye tainted by ginger analysis

I also like the pun. In fact all puns are pleasing. Mostly.

Anyway, you're not alone. We all want good AI in games but the actual implementation of that is pretty fucking tricky. What's more, when developers have to spend three years just making sure the thing can display on your damn monitor not a lot of time is left for the other parts.

Outsourcing is the key, share your resources. Amen.

Yeah, I noticed the lack of action taken by the NPC in question too. I think it's unfair to judge MGS3 by what we've seen so far though.

I remember being quite impressed with the AI in MGS and MGS2. They didn't make things too easy, but they still made it so that you could perform some pretty cool manuveurs.

Watching the MGS3 vid was a lot like watching an action movie's trailer, and speaking as a person who's watched A LOT of action movies the "bad guys" aren't always the smartest.

Snake is meant to perform some pretty inhuman feats (like shooting 5 guys standing next to each other and having none of them notice until it's too late) and that's what makes the game great.

I think you should ask yourself. Just how realisitic do you want them to be? So realistic so that every little thing you do, they hear, and call you on it? So realistic that it'll take you a good hour or so just to sneak up behind and kill one guard?

Also, keep in mind that it is a game with varying levels of difficulty, and that guards in the beginning may not be as smart as guards closer to the end.

Just some stuff to consider I guess. On the other hand, I'll be the first one to complain if I take a shot at a guard, miss him, and have him stand there with a stupid ass question mark over his head.

Sadly, it seems like HL1 was pretty much the zenith of PC game AI, even HL2 doesn't look as advanced from the videos, which is starnge.

But Metal Gear always has pretty good AI, thats what makes it so thrilling on Hard mode when your hiding in a wet box inches from a patrol, you know if you look out of place you're going down. I hope AI starts making advancments soon, because games like Far Cry aren't doing well in that department.

I agree, Half-Life's A.I. is still my benchmark. But Thief's guards were pretty decent, too. They see you, they actually hunt you down. Seems like Farcry's NPCs are a step above, they won't give up until they find you, and they seem to work with each other too. I'm looking forward to seeing how Thief: Deadly Shadows will do with its A.I.

I think the AI is taken from interactions and experiences with game publishers and the general game media. I mean if that's all the people you deal with all the time, your opinion of human intelligence is bound to be low.

Yeah fighting agaisnt the Marines in the origianl Hlaf Life is still a challenge.

It's held up very well over all those years.