Sign in to follow this  
Marek

CS: Source level and bots coming next Monday

tides1.jpg

"First, we're going to release the Counter-Strike: Source version of the CS Bot. This will be an improved version of the Condition Zero bot, and will be available for all owners of Counter-Strike: Source. Right now we're planning this for sometime early the week of the 17th. Also included is a remade version of the Condition Zero map, de_tides, rebuilt by Turtlerock Studios.

Going into February, there will be a release of a new Counter-Strike: Source map by Valve level designer Dave Riller. It's a smaller hostage rescue map with the focus on close quarters fighting. This map is still being play tested, and we're looking forward to seeing what the community thinks of it."

Sounds like good news, even though I never played the original Counterstrike or the later versions. But the variety of the maps is steadily growing, it seems. I especially like those with more narrow passages where sniping is more or less useless. Close Combat! Harrrr!

My main complaint with the series is that Valve has been using the original free mod for fodder, essentially making the same game over and over with better graphics, not adding new levels or weapons as often as they should.

I assumed part of that is to do with the full release of all the CS code, and a full engine SDK. They expect the community to pick it up in run with it (just like the CS team did originally)

That's stupid though. Expecting the fans to pick up the slack is stupid.

Here's a question: How come whenever steam updates CS it never tells you what the update is for.

It does. There is an info button or something that tells you what is being updated. And there is nothing stupid about supporting the mod community. How many games have you bought in the past that have been updated officially as much as HL2 already has?

It does. There is an info button or something that tells you what is being updated. And there is nothing stupid about supporting the mod community. How many games have you bought in the past that have been updated officially as much as HL2 already has?

CS is expected to be supported though. Supporting the mod community is one thing, but to expect them to finish what you started is another. Had they not bought the rights to cs there would have been a cs 2 anyhow. Once you dedicate yourself to creating something that is supposed to be "the omg 1337 sequal to the hottest multiplayer roxxor action game ever" you have to expect to support it. The mod community shouldn't have to be making maps for an old, tired game, which is what CS is. It's the same game with new graphics.

Also, I don't know about you, but whenever I click the "update news" button it shows me either nothing or an update from weeks ago. It's NEVER current.

Isn't that new map by Valve though? And the bot? What exactly are they not doing that you want them to do?

The new map is good. It's a step in the right direction. The Fuzz is pleased. This is the kind of thing that they SHOULD be doing.

What I was objecting to was the fact that there haven't been that many NEW maps.

I realize that some people would whine if there weren't new versions of their favorites, but THAT is EXACTLY where the modding community WOULD step up. Leave the copies to the fans.

Yes, I'm happy with this update, but I'm a little under impressed by the previous maps. (My main problem was the whole "Oooo a shiney version of a map I've played for years and years." thing that the initial version had going on.)

I'm sure Valve has some long-term ideas for CS:S. It seemed to me they just wanted to get the new "platform" done so to speak, and for that it's a good idea to re-make old levels cause you know exactly how far along you'll be in converting them.

I do hope they really build on CS:S with new content now though. De_tides is kind of boring, but I'm merrily anticipating that new Valve-created level. ^_^

I'm sure Valve has some long-term ideas for CS:S. It seemed to me they just wanted to get the new "platform" done so to speak, and for that it's a good idea to re-make old levels cause you know exactly how far along you'll be in converting them.

I do hope they really build on CS:S with new content now though. De_tides is kind of boring, but I'm merrily anticipating that new Valve-created level. ^_^

YES! YOU SEE MY POINT! NEW CONTENT! I mean, a few more new guns wouldn't hurt... maybe some skins...