Erkki

Valve wins(?) case against Vivendi

I don't understand half of it, don't even know what "Partial Summary Judgment" is.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/C02-1683Z.htm

edit: GameSpot has some comments on this

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/29/news_6114102.html

Maybe someone here can translate this legal mumbo jumbo? :erm:

But it looks good for Valve I think... :hmph:

I think it's a different case were Valve is suing Vivendi Universal. Valve seem to have won, preventing VUG from selling "their" game in Cyber-Cafes. I had never even heard of that before, though. Maybe someone can elaborate.

I don't think this has anything to do with the STEAM thing...

I think the Steam issues are part of the same case (Counter-Claims?) but only part of the case was resolved now.

So does anyone think that Vivendi will ever drop out of the game industry or drop everything but blizzard? They seem to be losing a whole lot of money every year, and except for blizzard, it seems like there would be absolutely no point for them to be part of the gaming world. Or are they going to keep trying to get into a growing industry?

In fact, a lot of the big evil publisher seem like they're losing money or are in trouble. EA is getting a lot of flak about their evil business practices, Atari/Infogrames is losing tons of money and may die, Acclaim is pretty much dead, and VU Games is doing horribly. If some of the big publishers disappear, are other big publisher like Microsoft going to buy their properties, or are smaller publishers going to take their spots and possibly cause the game industry to suck less?

If you read the previews pages of gaming mags, about 70% of all upcoming games is being released by VU or one of their companies.

Well.

In this month's PC Zone UK previews, there are two VU Games games, two Ubi Soft, zero EA, one Atari and a bunch of other people I've never even heard of.

In reviews there are 2 VUG, 1 EA, 1 Atari and 1 Ubi Soft.