Sign in to follow this  
Kode

Size of the games industry

Is the games industry larger than the movie industry? I, at first, thought not, but a friend of mine insists it is.

By "large", I mean, as an examples, the sum of all the money that all the games make in a year. How is this number compared to a similar number in the movie industry?

Sure, a game like Halo 2 is expected to dwarf most movie sales, but is the industry as a whole anywhere near the movie industry in terms of money made?

Games have higher monetary sales than movies do, yes. I wouldn't consider the industry "bigger" though, in terms of exposure.

games make money than movies do, but i think because of the higher "popularity" in the movie industry (how many people know steven spielberg? vs. how many people know peter molyneux - as a short comparison ;) ) many people think the opposite.

Also, compare the number of released games to the number of films that reach your local cinema. I'm sure that there are more of the former.

The claim that the game industry is bigger than the movie industry in terms of money involved is being regularly contested by game industry insiders, so I wouldn't take it as a fact just yet.

From what I understand the claim is true, but only if you restrict the comparison to the box office. As soon as you take DVDs, tv-licensing and such into account the games industry is dwarfed and not surprisingly so...

Wow, this is certainly news to me. But I'm sure what Marek has said deserves some credence.

I guess I was basing my thought process on Ron Gilbert's recent article on the Behind the Scenes of making a game. He did claim that it was hardly accurate, but I guess I took the fact that he said it's difficult to break even a little too seriously. After all, that is a 2D point n' click adventure and merely hypothetical.