Sign in to follow this  
Soren Johnson

Designer Notes 44: Clint Hocking - Part 2

Designer Notes 44:

Designer Notes 44

Clint Hocking - Part 2
In this episode, Soren Johnson interviews veteran game designer Clint Hocking, who started his career working on the original Splinter Cell and was also the Creative Director of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Far Cry 2. They discuss why games always need three months at the end, how he feels about his crunch on Chaos Theory, and how they choose Africa for Far Cry 2.

Games discussed: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Far Cry 2

These interviews are amazing. In early 2009, Civ IV and Far Cry 2 were two of my favorite, go-to games. So interesting to hear this conversation!

Really great interview. Hocking seems a little spiky at times, but gives some great stuff. Did I understand correctly that there is a part three planned?

I agree with him about games often trying to pack too much story in. The Half-Life games may have wholly scripted narratives, but their storytelling works so well because they know not to bog it down in tons of pedantic detail.

I was really hoping he'd touch on the weirdest aspect of Far Cry 2: the conversations all seem to run at like 1.5x speed. Everyone's in a gigantic hurry to get their message out and get on with being on fire/a terrible person/both.