Sign in to follow this  
Kluf

Evil Twin

Is there anyone who played at some time this specific game called ''Evil Twin''?

It is a morbid Jump'nRun, more mature than Rayman and less playful.

The majority who hasn't played this game I want to give a recommendation BUT with a definite warning so you won't hunt me to the gates of hell:

There are some things which you have to accustom on like that when you press the Esc-key you escaped in one way, but the doors are closed with an iron bar which is to heavy to move, in other words: you can't go back to play further in the game. There are then three continues in the menu which teleport you back to the beginning of the level, when you lost them you have to restore a saved game. Another nice side effect: You can have 20 lifes if you want, you could have endless, but when you proceed with a continue it gets reduced to 5 lifes.

Second thing: The camera is terrible. Well, something to expect of an Ubi(_)Soft platformer. You will fall from edges because of that. You won't have the priviledge of looking in the way you want. You will want to bash the tower with the keyboard because of that.

Third thing: The controls are terrible, not more, pretty much the same. Sometimes it feels like this shizophren boy slides. Result: you will fall off edges.....

Tip: Play with a cheat. With endless lifes this game is just fair: You can still die though.

So, and why should you play this game? Well, when you masochistic of course, besides that: Because of the black subtle humor, the brilliant, weird, strange ideas, the indefinite atmosphere, oh, and the soundtrack, the best I ever heard in a game. I can just listen to it alone, it's a pleasure. The graphics have also a unique style. Still a pleasure for the eyes!

It's really a true piece of art, but only when you can bear the bugs. I have to look for a patch, but I think I already have. It's a shame that nobody cared enough about that, you feel often enough like an innocent beta-tester.

This game also went by with low attention like Beyond Good&Evil a short time ago.

It's of the same quality, only with these nasty bugs. It just shows how it destroys a game.

I really build a hate-love up to it.

I should pluck a flower to decide....

i played this game for dreamcast and it was extremely glitchy....i'm glad to know that there is a PC version. i liked the art stile of the game and am now looking forward to getting a copy.

Some five months ago I was all of a sudden really interested in this game. I remembered it getting some nice reviews, and I wanted to play it. Finally I had the chance to play it at a friend's on his Dreamcast. And what a horrible experience it was! I didn't play too much because the gameplay wasn't very well thought out. But what struck me most was the nauseating cinematic quality! What horrible voice-acting, what ill-chosen dialogue and utter absence of a sense of cinematic direction! It really blew away all my hopes for the game and made me realise there was a reason why everyone I know was saying to me what a lousy game it was when I told them I wanted to play it. I'm thankful I didn't buy it before I had the chance to try it, because it would've been awful, I think.

I don't know where the problems are in the voice acting, I only played the german version and it was excellent. I can imagine that there are evil french accents, maybe to make a authentic french feeling.

This is a really french game, maybe the first one and one so far. They made a very unique game, the vision which the author had wasn't anything that's for a normal player, something you can mess at international standards.

I think you missed the lack of a clear story. It's interesting that you even don't get really introduced to the world, but you find out yourself the longer you play. It makes you curious. You just have to let yourself fall into it.

Yeah, typically french.

Maybe I just don't get what you mean........why should there be ''Cinematic direction'' in a game, except maybe in cutscenes?

It depends on the game of course and on who's playing it. For me, cinematic directions is very important. But in this case, I did mean the quite horribly narrated intro. The version I played had the laughable english voices by the way.

Out of curiosity though, what would you mean outside of cutscenes? I notice "cinematic" is a word that's tossed around a lot as a positive trait for games, and while sometimes it can be, I think it's often overused.

Good point. I think I mean if the game has any dramatic narrative in-game. Pulling out overused example #57 out of my hat: BG&E was a game that oozed with cinematic quality. Just think about the infiltration sections in Section Alpha in the main city. In-game gameplay turning into dramatic action sequences. But I don't think this should be in every game. I used it for Evil Twin because it's obvious that the game desperately tries to be highly cinematic, but fails to achieve any emotional impact because at least the cutscenes are so very, very sloppy.

Anachronox was a (great) game that had excellent, cinematic cut-scenes. Too bad I got stuck and never finished it.

I liked Evil Twin, but I remember that I started using the infinite lives cheat almost immediately. It's a game that's unfair, but boy does it do it stylishly.

Well worth the £10 I paid about three weeks after its release. For a new copy. And I really ought to go back and finish it...