Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Idle Weekend September 15, 2017: Use It or Lose It

Idle Weekend September 15, 2017:

Idle Weekend September 15, 2017

Use It or Lose It
Idle Weekend is back! After a too-long lapse where PAX happened and we all worked too much, Rob and Danielle return to what they know best: talking about Star Trek, Farscape, and immersive sims. After a riveting discussion of criminally under-utilized licenses in games and the new Dishonored, they open a heavy mailbag and an especially exciting discussion of weekend projects. Discussed: Battlestar Galactica Deadlock, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek (TOS), Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Farscape, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Guy Fieri, Wonder Woman, Vienna Blood: A Max Lieberman novel, The Sheriff of Babylon, Starfighter (comic)

haha this was a great episode, seriously you could just spend an hour every week talking about old sci fi TV shows and it would be totally fine. I always had a soft spot for Voyager because it was really my 'first' Star Trek show that I watched from the beginning. I had seen some TNG shows, but the 90s wasn't like now and you couldn't just go and get all 7 seasons of a show to binge watch (which would be something like 50 VCRs). But I did have Janeway and Chakotay every week and, yeah the first season wasn't crash hot - but I was looking forward to another 6 or 7 seasons of the show that established itself as its own chapter of the Star Trek universe. Unfortunately we never got that, and I went off to college after season 3 so I have actually never even seen how it ends. . 

I enjoyed you guys talking about Star Trek, even though I cannot stand Star Trek and find them all amazingly tedious.

I would absolutely listen to Danielle and Rob just talk about old sci-if shows again.

Also it doesn't sound like Elite Force was very accurate to Star Trek but I remember it had an expansion and I think the focus of that was just being able to explore the ship from voyager and wasn't really about shooting stuff. No idea if it was any good but that's a thing that exists.

Elite Force was very video gamey and not particularly consistent with Star Trek.  For example, you have health and armor like other shooters of the era as well as a huge arsenal of weapons you can carry all at once (the in game explanation for this was they were stored in a personal transporter buffer which I thought was pretty clever but flies in the face of a lot of Trek).  I do remember really loving being able to walk around the ship.  The sequel to the game places you on the Enterprise E but I never played it so I'm not sure if you can walk around.

I still want to know if Danielle has seen The Peacekeeper Wars.