Nick's emergent Rust experience in IT310 got me itchin' to play again.

Of course I didn't want to go out and find a server I liked and get destroyed until I spawned away from people, so I bought a small, cheap server. You should join if you wanna play, it'll be cool having other readers around.

Details:

name          Unofficial Thumb
IP/port       216.244.86.135:28516
slots         50
join quickly by going to the console (f1) and entering:
connect 216.244.86.135:28516

PVP is allowed. There's a live map here.  The only mods are Oxide (mod API), PlayRust:IO (live map), Gather Manager (resource multipliers that don't seem to work), Sleeper Animal Protection (so you don't get et), and Give.

The only rule is to not be a jackass. Don't hack, be nice, etc.

I'm interested but I've never done custom server stuff before. I'll try it out and tell you if I run into problems. I haven't even seen what gender and color I am yet! That's how long it's been since I logged on.

I started playing on the server yesterday. I have no idea where I am in relation to anything else, but now that I looked at the map I think I'm on the south end of the map.

So far, I built a house and then proceeded to explore a cool cave that had like a jumping puzzle in it to get to the deepest parts. When I came back out, there was a helicopter flying around, which is apparently an NPC event and players can group up to try to take it down?

Went exploring a bit and ran towards a shape in the distance that turned out to be a lighthouse with a bunch of cool stuff. Parked my character there for now but I'm excited to keep exploring later.

I settled towards the south, on the other side of a bay from the docks, but I did just find you in the tower on a hunting trip. killt me a bar.

Thanks for leaving that nice note at my house clyde! I've left the door open again, feel free to make yourself at home if you come by again.

Now that I have a better understanding of where everything is in relation to each other, I've figured out that I actually settled in the bay in the middle of the west side of the island.

Spoiler

rustmap.thumb.png.ac6884844f871d31dbeb86a8426a8e55.png

I also found your house slightly to the north adsmz!

They have added a lot of stuff since I've played last. I had a few adventures last night. Coming across stuff I've never see before is exciting.

I hope the game will let you remove items I put in your house Deadpan. I thought a lamp would be like a torch and once I placed it on the floor I couldn't figure out how to pick it back up.

I think I'll be able to, I just left your additions where they are for the added flair. Did you also add those landmines to my chest?

Also, can't connect to the server at the moment, it says it needs an update.

Yeah. I couldn't figure out what to do with landmines on a friendly server.

I haven't been able to get in for a couple of days either. The server needs to get updated apparently.

huh, that shouldn't be happening, it should be updating automatically. I'm looking into it.

EDIT: it should be up-to-date now. it was set to update "only if needed" which apparently means "not even if needed"

Edited by adsmz
update

Facing a small setback since my house and everything in it disappeared while I was gone. None of the stuff outside of it.

I went for more exploring and am currently parked on top of the dome oil tank.

19 hours ago, Deadpan said:

Facing a small setback since my house and everything in it disappeared while I was gone. None of the stuff outside of it.

I went for more exploring and am currently parked on top of the dome oil tank.

Did you rebuild your furnace or did it survive the apocalypse?

I stole some meat out of it by the way, I was hungry.

looks like the update wiped the map I guess. I'll set a calendar notification on my phone for next month and maybe change the world gen seed then.

I think it might have just decayed away in my absence, all the stuff outside survived (like the furnace). I was also parked near your house when I rejoined, that's also still around.

Anyway, I've used the opportunity to resettle.

Take anything you need clyde, ours is a communist utopia.

Clyde, is that your base with the three half-finished houses and the mining quarry? I settled not far away.

I had so much fun playing with Blueberry, Deadpan, and Cwester this morning.

I hadn't had a chance to learn the systems and stuff and this server is not only peaceful, it is helpful. So many awesome neighbors!

If you bought Rust a while back and tried it out but decided to wait longer ( *cough* @Dinosaursssssss ) I recommend checking this out. It's at least a few hours of surreality. If you find each other.

3 minutes ago, Deadpan said:

Welp, somebody's been through my house, picked it clean and changed the locks.

I'm pretty sure that the server is public so anyone can wander in and exploit our neighborliness.

I just got killed by the helicopter for the first time. I thought I had read that you would be fine if you didn't have a weapon in hand; I had an axe (which is a tool!).

It was pretty cool. I heard a gunshot in the distance and didn't see the folks I recognize active on Steam so I was trying to quickly build a fortification near the launch-site. I was actually looking for the house someone stole from Deadpan but couldn't find it. I did wake up safely in Cwester's attic though which I wasn't sure would happen after a day of being off. Man, I lived for a long time, 5 hours.

This game is fun. I kinda hope more thumbs join. I'm enjoying the low-pop server with mostly friendly neighbors.

Going back in. This game is fun.

Update on the house situation: I spent about an hour crafting enough hatchets to slowly break down by door, found nobody inside and then added a new lock.

After that, I found a rad suit and climbed to the top of the launch site building, but on the way down I fell and died. Turns out I forgot to put down a new sleeping bag in my house. Went back to get my stuff, but without the rad suit I died on the way to my corpse. My key is in that area now, so through my own errors, my house has become inaccessible to me once again.

I watched a beginner's video that explained stashes and the standard locks. I like the idea of the standard lock personally because it would be so exciting to loot my body and find a key then go around looking for my house.

After I respawned this morning I got chased up a rock by a bear and ended up settling there. It has turned out to be a really neat house. I hid a key to the door in a stash nearby. I'm not sure if I want to make a sleeping bag.

my house got wrecked too. also plugins don't seem to be working, so I'll use this as a convenient excuse to see about greifing protection

scratch that, it looks like oxide is just not loaded, so I'm trying to get that back. I did add noraid and instant craft and a compass though

edit: oxide is back up, working on the new plugin configs

looks like there's another server update, maybe it'll fix the animal issue

have you heard of my new band, animal issue?