Foodstuff

Our Weird Monstrosity

Hello, Thumbs! What better way to make your first ever post than to start a dev log for Wizard Jam!

"Our Weird Monstrosity" is going to be a pretty simple RPG where the Thumbs hosts emerge from the studio into a completely different reality... of their own crazy imaginings! The game will take place on RPG Maker style traversal maps and a battle system of my own design. It's a pretty loose concept which should allow me to make a bunch of references to the podcasts.

Help Wanted (this'll be in the recruiting thread as well): I'm focusing on mechanics and implementation for the first week, by the second week I'll have a list of art assets to create. Now, I could create them myself but they'll look pretty terrible. So, if anyone is interested in helping with this I'll be looking for artists in the second week. (I'm going to very conservative with my asset requirements, and I'm looking for RPG Maker VX style graphics for the traversal and maybe bigger sprites for the battle system).

Also, I'm making my own engine in the process, 'cause that's a rational thing to do. Here's a screenshot of my progress so far;

WizJam5_1.PNG.72e9cd29e0ddd06c1215de0fef1d7b32.PNG

Yeah, got a bit to go.

Nice! Making your own engine is an impressive undertaking.

You might want to also post in the main recruiting thread and maybe have a look through the team seeking one too.

Progress! Though not as much as I would've liked... I gave into a bad habit and I spent a long time doing a huge refactor of the code. That said, the code is now pretty structured and solid so that will hopefully pay off later. 

WizJam5_2.PNG.5c88fa660bcc65ef0d9f7d5133164e7a.PNG

Being the glutton for punishment I'm integrating the editor into the engine itself. Here's the tile editor mode which lets me paint tiles directly into the game itself. It has a bunch of neat and useful features that are hard to show through images including the ability to search for tiles by name or id, and it also saves all changes into temporary files so the edits I make aren't destructive.

At this pace, I guesstimate I'll complete most of the programming in around 1.5 days... after which I'll be brainstorming and implementing content for the rest of the jam. Hopefully. Don't quote me on that.

Hey, we're integrated editor buddies! Cheers!

(I also put a map editor in my game, though a very simple one).

Alas folks, I'm going to have to call it quits. My plan was always hugely ambitious but a combination of "real life" and a bout of illness that took me out for the past three days make the idea of finishing this by the deadline a mere dream!

Best of luck to the rest of you crazy diamonds!

Ah, man! What you had looks promising.

What if you took out the combat and just made it a JRPG-looking visual novel?

I hope you continue anyway!