Sign in to follow this  
hellojed

[Devlog] Last Bus Out Of Town

What if you made a game like STALKER but without guns, and instead of going into a weird wasteland you were trying to leave it? and Also it was 3rd person? That's basically the gist of this next game I'm making.

I'm fascinated with dead malls, near abandoned towns, and other things. I'd like to combine these inspirations into basically a 3rd person walking simulator.

3YsAjOn.png

l9XcFHs.png

InoDCXl.pnggN4jr4Y.png

Anyway, right now you're a rabbit, that's because I lost interest making the last game, a near recreation of the final scene of Werner Hertzog's "Stroszek" which I might use anyway

G0UAe7i.png

Anyway, that's all I got. Mainly trying to cook up some levels to run through. I want to figure out a good dialog system so i can write snarky dialog

This looks really great! Weirdly enough I had an entire world that was based on shopping centres/malls planned out for a novel a few years back but then life kind of caught up. It's a rich vein, especially if you bring some magical realism styles into it to highlight the absurdity. Definitely would love to check this out once you've got a build. :)

Thans Phill! Attempting to make the mall level using Saber CSG, since I don't even want to try with Blender. (Accidental Dutch Angle here, hehe)

9md58ve.png

kdlZf3r.pngnxA5eIC.png

I think I'm going to end up going with possibly Sketchup, because building the level geo is a tedious process. I think I could get some really good spaces built with CSG but the rebuild is what kills me (I'm using a macbook air). this reminds me about reading the Destiny development process where it took a whole night to build level brushes. Or possibly use seperate CSG objects for different things and just block out spaces with one geo object. WHO KNOWS. 

I'm also a fan of abandoned malls and things. I like this concept, even the anthropomorphized rabbit seems like a good fit.

And just because, I will post this picture I took recently of a new city hall they built in the middle of a decaying parking lot where a mall I used to go to all the time in the '90s used to stand. 

58f5823fe6366_northhillsmall.thumb.jpg.442cad1d1225a977c2a04b35c328422f.jpg