Sign in to follow this  
nakedsushi

Moon

I can't imagine the devastating effect finding out you are a clone would have on your mind, but apparently neither can Moon.

I'm not saying Moon should have been a different movie, I like what it tries to do. But I disagree with a lot of you in feeling the emotion/theme of the movie could've been exploited way more effectively, in a way that resonated more with the viewer.

But the thing is, that's not the only emotional push in play. For instance, half of the movie goes by with neither of the clones knowing for sure which one is the clone when in fact they both are. In that case, the appalling nature of the cloning is harder to capture - the injured, older clone is grappling with his withered state and the younger clone thinks he must be the original because of the status of his double.

Not to mention the whole isolationism issue, which throws into play the need for companionship. There are certainly movies to be made about the effects of being alone in space, which carries its own weight without even involving the cloning.

This just isn't how a person would react to a situation like the one Sam finds himself in. There would, by way of illustration, be that shower scene.

The correct reaction.

I agree with DanJW on this one. I actually felt that Sam's reaction was much closer to what I could imagine doing if I was in his place*. I recently heard some bad news (which later turned out be not that bad after all) and I dealt with it in a way that to an outsider probably seemed as if I didn't care at all, as if I was just strolling around the house.

*Which I can't honestly imagine being in, though.

Edited by Nappi

This just isn't how a person would react to a situation like the one Sam finds himself in. There would, by way of illustration, be that shower scene.

But here was a "shower scene"... Sam went into total denial about what he was seeing until he could eventually process it. That was his reaction, and it felt very different, very non-cliché and, because of that, real. I believed that that's how he would deal with it. It did feel realistic, just very idiosyncratic... but he was a very odd guy.

I guess this whole thing boils down to whether you could believe how he reacted. I was a little confused at first, but I bought into it, and appreciated the choice.