gerbilsinspace

Ms Petman: A Very Meowy Christmas 2

Here we go.

I'm making a sequel to Jennegatron's A Very Meowy Christmas, a singing cat game. Only this time, we are going multiplayer.

I'm going to need:

- Your best meows

- Your best cat drawings. If you can, make the lower jaw a different image, so I can move it up and down like a terrible puppet.

I've started making the engine already, just to get to the "Is Multiplayer Feasible" section. In a few days, I'll be able to answer that.

What is more worrying me is trying to not introduce too much lag when playing and recording each track. Javascript is going to be holding down the front end, and it isn't made for precision based timing stuff. 

I'm using Erlang (the ancient programming language that handles your text messages) for the backend, which should perform admirably, but I have never used it before, and there is a bit of a learning curve.

Wish me luck.

Good luck, this sounds amazing! I will definitely be contributing meows!

I may be panicking about trying to get midi working. The javascript I am relying on is pretty ancient, and I don't know how to include it nicely in my stuff. going to try again in the morning.

yep, midi is out of the question. I'll be using soundmanager2 for mp3 playback. It will give me less control over the sound, but it think it is doable.

Phew, a lot of good work today, but our cats are still mute. 

Done:

The user can choose the key

The user can choose the scale (Over 50 scales)

A keyboard generates based on the scale and key. Keyboard does nothing at the moment.

todo:

get sound to play from keyboard presses,

get the correct sound to play from keyboard presses.

rpm,

metronome,

record button,

save song,

singing cats,

multiple cat support (the doozy, it will mess up how I have the sound setup at the moment) 

So, it turns out, moving house during a game jam means that you are not a part of the game jam any more. Who knew.

I've been struggling with some awful code that was meant to be done in a day, but has taken me a week or so to debug, and I still cannot figure this out. I will eventually make this cat game, but I'm not anywhere near the allotted time of the game jam, and I now have no free time to work on it.

I'll be tinkering with this throughout December, with the hope that I hit Christmas, but that might even be a push.