Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 360: Hearts of Iron IV

Artillery has width if used as a line battalion.  If used as a support company (the + signs on the left of the division designer) then it does not contribute width.  

It's a lot more powerful if used as a line battalion, however,  And a line battalion requires more pieces to be fully equipped.  So there is a trade-off.  

This is where that (way too hidden) width mechanic comes in.  I estimate each of your super-divisions would have a width of 55 (infantry =2 width, artillery =3).  When you attack from just one province, you get 80 width to work with.  Each additional province gives you another 40.  On defense, you only ever get 80 width.  So you could only ever defend with one division at a time, and probably were never able to attack with more than 2.  Your enemy, on the other had, employed divisions with width of 24.  Still not optimal, but they could always bring at least 3 to every fight.  

I read on the forums that you should try to keep your divisions at either 10 width or 20 width to maximize their effectiveness.  I've found that to be a VERY useful guideline.  Most of my French infantry weighs in at 19 width, which has been close enough.  

Interesting, cheers.  Once more unto the breach then for me it seems...

Has anybody tried to play peaceful Hitler? 

He doesn't invade anyone and/or creates a Red Alert mod?  I think it would be pretty cool.

I just wanted to say I saw the Nationalists win the Spanish Civil war very quickly. I totally stayed out of it, building up my neo-ottoman empire as Turkey. I personally like the game, since it lets me tweak one knob in WWII history and see how things turn out as a result. My Neo-Ottoman Empire conquered Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Oman before joining the Allies as the war turned Against the Axis. It was a ton of fun!