Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Idle Weekend May 6, 2016: Top This

I also am not personally familiar with Kim, but I had heard of it thanks to a story my dad likes to tell.

Apparently, he and his brother were given Kim as a reading assignment.  His brother didn't feel it had any redeeming value, and decided to use it for archery practice.  After hitting it a few times, he went through, scoring points every time an arrow had passed through the word "Kim".

Anyway, as a long time listener to the idle network, this is what gets me to create an account on the forum.  Your non-video game tangents are part of what gives this podcast so much character.  Good job, guys!

What frustrates me about the argument surrounding difficulty/accessibility options in games like Dark Souls is that so often the people who are against it seem to be motivated by this weird, paternalistic assumption that they are protecting people from their own folly in wanting an experience other than the precise one that that person values. But the reality is, people value very different things about the games they play, and the only ones who get to define the "intended" experience are the developers. 

What frustrates me about the argument surrounding difficulty/accessibility options in games like Dark Souls is that so often the people who are against it seem to be motivated by this weird, paternalistic assumption that they are protecting people from their own folly in wanting an experience other than the precise one that that person values. But the reality is, people value very different things about the games they play, and the only ones who get to define the "intended" experience are the developers. 

A waking sim mod for Dark Souls would be super valuable and world appropriate frankly.

I love myself to know that even though most of my friends love them I should probably never play a Souls game because they're hard and I'd probably cry if I spent 14 hours trying to beat one boss and then died, but I'd totally play Dark Souls: The Walking Simulator.