Sign in to follow this  
itsamoose

Game prototyping tools

I'm interested if anyone has any suggestions for good game development prototyping tools.  I find myself often creating prototypes, but in the space of that end up doing a lot of basic systems work that ultimately isn't necessary for a proof of concept type design.  I'm ideally looking for something that would quickly allow for the creation of basic mechanics (graphics not necessary), or even something as simple as a a comic strip creator to setup some basic scenes.  I assume something along these lines would be of use to a lot of us, so I figured we could compile a list here.

It really depends on my initial conception I have for the project since I have a lot of genre-specific engines available to me.

TyranoBuilder is an excellent program for prototyping or making visual-novels. It's very fast once you are familiar with it.

RPGmaker is great for prototyping narrative games that have top-down exploration as a main mechanic. One of the major benefits of RPGmaker is the spectrum of assets available by default. The included music and sound-effevts especially can help me write the story; I look through the sound-effects and find one that surprises me and it may influence how I see te story I'm working on.

Scratch is great if I want to come up with an idea for a arcade-like game. I've run into some really frustrating bugs in it though that seem to be engine problems, so I would only use it to prototype unrefined arcade mecahnics.

I'm trying to build a library of clearly marked, easy to understand, simple scripts in Unity for prototyping. This involves including lots of public variables. I have a hard time still with keeping the scripts basic and general enough for this to work properly, but now that I know prefabs can be moved between projects, I think I'll be doing prototypes in Unity a lot more.

I've mostly used Unity and Phaser. I think sticking to one engine might be a good way to build up a toolset to make things faster.

A lot of devs I know have made themselves a Unity prototyping kit. With small scripts and visuals assets that are general use.

I've also heard that Robert Yang makes all of his games inside the same Unity project.

Here's that Robert Yang post: http://www.blog.radiator.debacle.us/2013/04/the-joys-of-sub-projecting-in-unity.html

It's a clever solution, though like he says really not great for bigger projects. I've been thinking about this a lot recently in the wake of wiz jam '16, where I reused a bunch of UI components from other projects. I think my solution will probably be to figure out how git submodules work and set one up with my extensions and whatnot.

As far as a comic strip creator...idk, I hear that BigJKO fella is working on something like that. On a related note to that, Matt Derby (a designer at Harmonix) gave a GDC talk a couple years back about using comics as design documentation that was useful to me http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020456/-Nuff-Said-Comics-as