Sign in to follow this  
clyde

Construct 2

In general, I'm having a good time playing around in Construct 2. The visual-scripting of events and pre-authored behavior scripts can be kinda inspirational when I don't have anything specific I want to do. But when there is something specific I want to do, it can be really frustrating trying to figure out the location of what I need. 

There has to be a simple way to have speech-bubbles pop up, but after thinking I had the solution three times, I got fed up. Anyone have a simple method for text that has a white background? 

I'm curious to see how your time with Construct 2 goes Clyde. I know I was pretty impressed with it when I fiddled with it a few years ago, but I haven't touched it since.

Well this is what I have so far from playing around.

Here's a good example of what makes it both appealing and a struggle. When I play the game Deadpan linked, I'm wondering which items and behaviors(components) they would be using and where the menus for those items would be for everything I haven't used yet. In Unity, if I can't find the component, I feel like I can atleast write one myself. I'm not complaining, it's just a much different way of making a game (that I'm not used to but wouldn't mind having a workable knowledge of). 

Oh and by the way, tile-mapping is really super fun. I've never done that before and I really enjoy it.

Here's what the script looks like for everything in the current game:

LorUM6s.png

And here is what it looks like when I add a component to the player-character sprite:

LPvcydx.png

That's cool. To get a game to that point would probably be like 3 - 5 hours of work in unity for me, so that seems pretty legit.

Hey, I'm new to the forum but I know a bit about Construct. The game that was linked was probably made with the Physics behaviour. If you want to make something similar, it would be helpful to look at some of the examples that come with Construct, specifically the "Physics - rolling platformer" example.

Fo you have any playables you've made in Construct 2 Erfeo? I might have some questions about how you do what you do.

Sure. It's not much but I've posted some stuff here https://www.tumblr.com/blog/erfeo-empire

This is my most fully formed game (I have a bad habit of not following through on games)

LINKhttp://powersurge-0-2.bitballoon.com

Power Surge is a top down shooter about a power-mad wizard with a scoring system inspired by Super Crate Box. This is an early version which uses mostly modified freeware art as placeholders.

Controls

Move with WSAD

Cast Spells with Left Mouse Button (Uses the blue mana bar)

Teleport with Right Mouse Button (Uses the orange energy bar)

Use the next Essence with Space (Restores mana and gives you a new spell)

Do you remember how the music is started in Syracuse Station? I notice that there is a delay between when a round begins and when the music starts. I'm interested in understanding how to get the audio to feel as responsive as possible in html5 builds of Construct 2 games.

I didn't program the delay, it's in the sound file itself. To delay playing sound (or any other action) you can put a 'Wait' action before it. It's a System action under the Time header, all the way at the bottom. Wait is a very important action, I always use it instead of Timer.

If anyone comes across Construct 2 tutorial projects that they enjoyed following, I'm taking recommendations. 

--------------

is pretty sweet guys.

It's a cannon-firing physics game. It took me about an hour and a half. I like this tutorial because he covers a lot of simple built-in functions of Construct2 that look like they would be useful for a lot of simple games. He doesn't do everything as efficiently as possible, but that was good for me because I had opportunities to experiment (to do things more efficiently) and see if my understanding was operable. I wasn't able to find the images he uses, but I just drew some shit in Gimp real fast and it worked fine. It's interesting how Construct2 seems to add circle-colliders to round sprites automatically. This is a good beginner tutorial. It doesn't cover exporting or saving or anything like that though.