Sign in to follow this  
Architecture

Do You Have a Preferred Perspective for Games?

Preferred Perspectives  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which Perspective do You Prefer in Games?

• First Person
    • Third Person
    • I have no preference

I've been playing Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel over the last week in co-op, and then Dark Souls 2 by myself.  Which Borderlands has me hankering to play some Mass Effect 3 MP for some reason.

Thinking about these 3 different styles of perspective made me realize the thing that ends up bugging me about First Person is the complete lack of mass, momentum and weight to a character.  When I backhand a robot with a Krogan wielding a shotgun in Mass Effect, it's got a real feeling of weight behind it.  Whereas when I punch something with Salvador in Borderlands 2, it feels as floaty and empty as movement does.  First person ends up (often) being less immersive because it conveys a narrower experience range than third person.

I think Zeno Clash is pretty good at that. Also Mirror's Edge!

I definitely think it's possible, but that something like Zeno Clash is the rare exception though.  I only played through the first 2 missions of Mirror's Edge and never went back to it, I don't remember it well enough to say how well it did it.

Yes I definitely agree it's rare. Just pointing out that it can and has been done. I should play Zeno Clash 2 at some point since I loved the first one so much...

I bought it right after it released, and have never actually got around to playing it. 

First-person almost universally makes me feel nauseous. The only first-person games I've ever managed to finish were the Metroid Prime trilogy and the Portal games.

Which is funny, because Portal is already disorienting enough.

I've been playing Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel over the last week in co-op, and then Dark Souls 2 by myself.  Which Borderlands has me hankering to play some Mass Effect 3 MP for some reason.

Thinking about these 3 different styles of perspective made me realize the thing that ends up bugging me about First Person is the complete lack of mass, momentum and weight to a character.  When I backhand a robot with a Krogan wielding a shotgun in Mass Effect, it's got a real feeling of weight behind it.  Whereas when I punch something with Salvador in Borderlands 2, it feels as floaty and empty as movement does.  First person ends up (often) being less immersive because it conveys a narrower experience range than third person.

I think the problem is as you say 'the feel', in first person you expect to feel these things and naturally that's very hard to do without strapping you into some machine with force feedback. In third person a lot can be conveyed in animation which gives the impression of weight and impact but as an observer you does necessarily expect to feel much. merely seeing it is enough. Since first person is more immersive it feels very strange if control is taken from you and animations are played (Halo assassinations I'm looking at you) so the only practical methods are to alter the inputs such as move and turn speed which goes some way towards it but is ultimately limited. If you're turning at full speed and it takes 10 seconds to turn 180 degrees then the sense of weight and/or scale will be overridden by frustration.