All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. [Dev Log] Shoehorned

Yeah, controls are very fun/intetersting and very hard, which seems exactly what you want in a game like this. I hope there will be some gentler terrain at first for a moment before getting into full Foddy territory
  3. Today
  4. [Dev Log] Shoehorned

This is really cool. The idea is super neat and it's actually pretty fun, even when you keep failing.
  5. I hashed out the basic movement and corridor viewing last night, but had a couple of weird bugs I couldn't figure out. One problem was due to a bug in new versions of Unity and luckily I could work around it. The other bug was... embarrassingly dumb on my part. So it goes. Here is a gif of moving through a two-square, straight hallway. What a place to explore!! I am hoping to fix up all my art as I go, but we'll see what takes priority. I at least need to make some floor/ceiling images for turning the other directions. There will at least be some doorways here and there, and hopefully some stuff on the walls, etc. to change it up even if I don't have different materials and stuff. It is kind of killing me to not have a transition in the movement and turning, but I guess this is the way things were. It just feels so rough from a more modern perspective. Tomorrow I hope to start on having the map populate as you move through the bar. Should be a fun problem!
  6. [Dev Log] Shoehorned

Hello wizards. I'm attempting a 'Getting over it' style physics climber. You play a creature who can only move by shimmying up and down along a pole that is permanently attached to you. The character is controlled by manipulating the center of gravity by leaning, swapping sides, and shifting the pole. I've got the character controller working. I'm pretty happy with it, although, it can become disorienting when the creature is upside down. I attached a playable version (Windows only) if you wan to see how it feels. shoehorned_v_0_1.rar Keyboard or Xbox controller controls are: Move up/down pole : W or S - controller: Left Joystick up/down Lean (has no visuals but moves center of gravity): A or D - controller: Left Joystick left/right Switch sides (Has to have room on other side, so doesn't work on ground or when against a wall) : Space bar - controller: A Move Pole: Shift + W or S - controller: Left Trigger + Left Stick Restart (If you get stuck): R - controller: Y shoehorned_v_0_1.rar
  7. Yesterday
  8. [Dev Log] Walking an unfamiliar city alone

Got polygons working...mostly. Insetting works most of the time. But when forming clusters of triangles and then merging them into polygons it occasionally fails. Especially the part where it tries to "walk along" the edges of the polygon to make sure it actually is a closed shape. Well, progress is slow but maybe I'll crack that nut tomorrow.
  9. Clickbait Games Journalism: Polygon vs Kotaku

Oh, no, I don't think I'm being down on it. It's not particularly thoughtful, or full of insight, but it's useful and/or fun stuff.It's there to serve a population of people who care about games (and the subculture surrounding them), which means that it's mostly stuff that serves that need, with occasional in-depth stuff.
  10. Loving the UI for the map and shoe types, in addition to the mechanics looking ace. I was listening to some LOFI BEATS TO STUDY BY and it synced with your shoehorn gif in a pleasing way.
  11. Free Music Resource - Over 1800 Tracks

Thanks, I hope some of my work is helpful! :-) Greetings Earthlings! This week’s new free tracks are: On my Sci-Fi 8 page: page: STRANGE LANDS – (Looping) – Perhaps on an alien world? https://soundimage.org/sci-fi-8/ On my Fantasy 9 page: OF OTHER WORLDS - Here’s a dreamy, far away sounding piece that might work under the intro screens of a game…or perhaps something else. https://soundimage.org/fantasy-9/ QUIRKY MAGIC – (Looping) – Perhaps for casting spells in an RPG? https://soundimage.org/fantasy-9/ I try very hard to create and upload at least one new free piece of game art each day. Feel free to friend me on Facebook to get daily updates in your news feed. My page is here: https://www.facebook.com/people/Eric-Matyas/100017638394276 Finally, if you need some affordable custom work created (music, sound effects, images, etc.,) feel free to email me. My email address is here: https://soundimage.org/custom-work/ Enjoy!
  12. Barbie's Trashed Dreamhouse

I'm just about finished with the house model. I'm cleaning up some railings and windows yet, which require some alpha mask stuff. Also the proportions of Barbie are surprisingly difficult to replicate with a first person controller, but I think I got her moving through doorways and such appropriately now. I think I am going to tackle some logic before I get deep into props production as I think I am going to want a system that is easy for just dropping new props into before I have a bunch of them to work with.
  13. Man that is sounding great! such a clever design idea! also the spinning gif whilst the video was playing was oddly mesmerizing and satisfying
  14. I now have all the shoes functional (the warp shoe looks really awkward in action without any effects). I mainly play with the curse shoes here, I added a fun changing sound and the ability to fast fall when pressing jump in the air. All the level stuff is of course placeholder but I have the whole game world connected now. + I endorse using your shoehorn as a relaxing fidget spinner and a finger strengthener.
  15. Such an adventurous and slap-dash attitude to life is anathema to my very existence.
  16. The joke was worth it! I am sitting down to work on the walking (i.e. crawling) mechanics now, and I am tempted to make it procedural... I really don't have a solid plan here.
  17. Free Music Resource - Over 1800 Tracks

Nice collection.
  18. Last week
  19. Haha thanks, I'm glad you like the cast! I've always loved trailers so I can't relate to disliking trailers, but I sympathize when I hear from people who I can tell don't require as much convincing to see a movie than the market research and surveys suggest. This is pure speculation, but I think very avid film fans are in the minority, and the rest of the people are the ones who need to see more of a movie in a trailer in order to be convinced. Whenever I went to the theater and overheard people saying "What should we watch?" it blew my mind to think people go to the movies without knowing exactly what they're there to see, but I think there are probably a lot of people who do that because they're not the ones watching trailers online, reading reviews and everything film buffs tend to do. I have no preferences for when people should watch trailers, but I hope the podcast increases appreciation for the form!
  20. [Dev Log] Heely Kids

Thanks Zirrus! Today has been a bit of a slower day, I did manage to get the first iteration of my tilt randomization going so the further the player leans in either direction the greater the random tilt effect. Also I prepped some code to allow for right-angled turning for the time being, just needs testing, but this might change altogether after we get some actual level designs done and it stops looking like a slide
  21. I really like the look of that style of old rpgs/adventure games. If there were multiple bars to visit you could call it a bar crawler (one bar is enough, just had to make that dungeon crawler joke)
  22. [Dev Log] Interacting with Humans

Looks and sounds already like another quality Teljoor project
  23. For this wizard jam I am working with a friend, who may also post some later updates in this thread. This will be his first game in Unity and my first time collaborating on a two-week project. To ensure that we can finish it, we have come up with a simple concept that should be very doable but could also be extended if we have time remaining.The basic idea is to have a 'simon says' main game mechanic where the player is presented with a series of instructions and then has to repeat them. As the game goes on the instructions could get more complicated or have to be completed faster. The visualization for the game is based on the endorsement of 'interacting with humans', from episode 7 of Important if True. The player supports a robot learning to talk and interact with humans. The concept is a bit like the 'First Contact' minigame from rhythm heaven, but it should be pretty different in practice since there is no rhythm element and the input uses different types of buttons. We hope to at least implement conversations and maybe also gestures and other ways of communication. To be clear, there is no real choice in how to communicate, it is just for visual interest and feedback indicating if the right buttons were used. In the mockup above the console and buttons are shown in the bottom of the screen. The buttons flash in sequence and the player presses them in the same order. The basic gameplay is currently implemented, but it is only a single fixed sequence with no loop or randomization. The slider and radial buttons are also not functional yet. We hope to have all the planned control types implemented by the end of this week, as well as having the animations, sounds, etc. hooked up so that we can run through a single complete sequence. After that we should also have a better idea of how we can best set up randomized instruction sequences.
  24. [Dev Log] Walking an unfamiliar city alone

The version where building get created inside the triangles is done. For now they are just made up of planes. And triangular. I've looked into merging them together, but polygons are a lot more difficult to handle since they can have all sorts of weird shapes. Maybe tomorrow. Then I created a simple FPS controller and went in there... Because of the strange angles the city has a rather alien feel to it at the moment. But I'm happy with the result so far.
  25. I wasn't completely sure that I would have time to make a game this time around, and that uncertainty remains, but I'm going to try goshdarnit!! I am basing my game on Nick's endorsement from Episode 3: Finding and frequenting your neighborhood bar. Whether it will make for a good game or not, I decided to do an NES-style mashup of Wizardry/Dragon Warrior (Quest)/the Mac Venture Games. Is this too ambitious for this jam? Probably so, so I am going to adapt as I go. I will try to cut things down to their essence as far as battle/item systems go. Also, I am not sure yet if the game will involve one trip to the bar or let you come and go several times until you can "conquer" it. This whole thing is being developed very free-form, so I just don't know. So far, I have created the basic layout of the screens and started coding up a system to display each space on the map in the "corridor" view window. I also set up the system to display the text character-by-character at a reasonable speed, as shown in my one lowly screenshot so far. Hopefully I can get about done with the mapping/viewing system tonight and then on to movement.
  26. Something True 2.1: Cœurs Brûlant Something True is back, with the story of a celebrated opera singer who set fire to a convent and whipped the buttocks of Parisian lotharios. Luciano Pavarotti? No, Julie d'Aubigny, who in 17th century Paris delighted the upper classes from the stage and duelled them in the streets. Join us for the dramatic, passionate tale of a life lived fast and furious. Read a full transcript of this episode on the Something True website. Follow Something True on Twitter @atruepodcast. (Or just follow Duncan and Alex.) Music on this week’s episode: Kai Engel – Sunset* Lee Maddeford – BAM* Gillicuddy – Springish* Podington Bear – Blue Highway* Sunsearcher – Flamenco Rhythm* Jelsonic – Saying Goodbye In The Rain (piano) Francesco Paolo Tosti - Aprile (backing) *modified for the podcast. Listen on the Episode Page Listen on Soundcloud Listen in iTunes
  27. [Dev Log] Heely Kids

That seems to be coming along very nicely!
  28. Thanks everyone! Ya, that's where my mind went when I played Munch's Oddysee back in the day too! Does it actually look like a G or is it the power of suggestion? Haha! I did make the font though so it's not perfect. It's fine if they see that. I think, at the least, it's meant to be a goofy word for a thing to collect. I should have more later today!
  29. Man, that video is looking really good.
  1. Load more activity