All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Star Wars Episode 9

It'll be fine. I'm incredibly surprised people are genuinely still upset about The Last Jedi. I'm at the same time very happy that they're taking a break for a while, but I bet it won't be long and there'll be another deluge of Star Wars content before long. Are we getting nostalic yet for the time when it took 20 years of waiting for another movie to come out?
  3. Star Wars Episode 9

I'm pessimistic about Abrams making a good movie, but I don't think it'll be terrible for the same reason TFA wasn't terrible: if you have lots of great characters played by lots of fantastic actors, plus John Williams doing the score, things can't get too bad. I'm mostly just happy this trilogy delivered The Last Jedi, which is a masterpiece, and at this point I just don't really have any expectations for the third movie. If it sticks the landing I'll be delighted, but I won't exactly lose sleep if it's a dud.
  4. Last week
  5. Free Music Resource - Over 1800 Tracks

Hey guys, Here are this week’s new tracks. Free to use with attribution. Enjoy! 8-BIT ANTICS – Maybe for a cute retro-2D game? Or something else? https://soundimage.org/chiptunes-3/ THE ANT HILL GANG SADDLES UP AGAIN – And they’re off…the most incompetent gang to ever (attempt to) ride across the west. They’ll probably get lost. Anyhow, this might be fun in a comedic western-themed piece. https://soundimage.org/funny-6/ TECHNO RANDOMNESS – Unlike many of my tracks that are built layer by layer, this one was done “live” (in real-time) by improvising with two of my synths at the same time. Perhaps useful in some kind of wacky technology-based puzzle game? https://soundimage.org/puzzle-music-4/ DYSTOPIAN SUNSET – Perched atop a mile-high structure, the machine-being stares out over the shimmering grid, wondering what the night will bring. https://soundimage.org/sci-fi-7/
  6. Looking for TBS recommendations

There are currently 3 campaigns in the game and I am legit stuck on the hardest one
  7. Star Wars Episode 9

Those were definitely things that happened in this Star Wars teaser!
  8. anime

I really want to watch season 2 of One Punch Man but I seriously don't want to get Hulu. I have enough scattered streaming services as it is.
  9. Building a Library of Images for Everyone

Another busy weekend, but I managed to get some more fantasy textures done. You’ll find them here: TXR – BRICK https://soundimage.org/txr-brick/ TXR – ROCK/STONE 2 https://soundimage.org/txr-rockstone-2/ I’ll have a bunch of cool new music tracks coming out on Wednesday so be sure to check my music thread. Enjoy!
  10. Recently completed video games

The subsequent runs go very fast since a large portion of the game no longer has any real reward. It's a nice little challenge to see how fast you can go while doing optional content and stuff.
  11. Star Wars Episode 9

I think Kylo is going to help the rebellion and Reylo is training in the desert.
  12. Recently completed video games

I think you typically just pass manure once!
  13. I initially just thought it was some kinda youtube-content-creating joke-game, but the more I see of it it does actually appear to have some tactical depth. I wanna play it myself now. RE:Tactics/Strategy: I really should've called the thread "looking for turn based tactics games", as that's what I'm more into.
  14. Recently completed video games

I finished Metro Exodus and found it overall to be fine. I never really liked the first two Metro games because of how linear they were. Exodus had some cool moments, but ultimately still very linear level design which is too bad as there were some larger more open zones that were never fully utilized. Just play a STALKER game instead. Also finished Diablo 3 on the Switch, playing on a controller is very nice, I'm sad they never brought support for controllers to PC.
  15. anime

As coincidence would have it, I just watched the premier ep of Sarazanmai. It was about what I expected coming hot off Yurikuma (which I loved, by the way, but as a caveat I'll state that it was also my first introduction to the creator - so what felt incredibly fresh to me might have been old hat to others). The same feeling permeated Sarazanmai: one that I was already familiar with all these elements. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it immensely: the great animation, the surprising interludes, the swift scripting...
  16. Earlier
  17. Three Moves Ahead 466: Dawn of Man Troy, Jon Bolding, and Rob discuss Madruga Works' Dawn of Man, a prehistoric and ancient history city builder and survival game. The gang is charmed, but also feel like there are some big gaps in the evolution of your city and society. Dawn of Man, Children of the Nile, Planetbase Listen on the Episode Page Listen on Soundcloud Listen in iTunes
  18. anime

Well, after watching too many airing anime for the winter season because of holdovers from fall and two girls-in-airplanes shows, I only have one anime that I'm planning to watch this season: Sarazanmai, the new show from Kunihiko Ikuhara. Do I think it's going to be good? No, not after the unevenness of Penguindrum and the blowout that was Yurikuma Arashi. Am I going to watch it anyway to see what will be, at worst, an interesting failure by the creator of one of the greatest anime of all time? Yup.
  19. Recently completed video games

I got a sense that Spider-Man was a lot like those Batman games, and I haven't even played those Batman games. Recently I bought and devoured Devil May Cry V. DMC 4 is one of my favorite games, so I'll just mention how it's different from that: I liked Dante in DMC 4, but he was never my favorite choice. I thought his 1 million moves and weapons had a lot of novel trinkets included, and it felt un-focused to me. In this new game though, I've turned into a Dante player. His massive library of moves feel more useful and more straight-forward, which might be a turn-off for some people, but not me. There's a new character, V, who is a completely different kind of beat-them-up, and the new idea doesn't really come together for me. His detached, 2nd-person combat style achieves what it's going for, but that only serves to add a layer of doubt between my inputs and what they're doing in the game world. It feels like he has less combat options than the other characters too. I think playing with this character holds up for the duration of the game's campaign, it's novel and interesting, but I played DMC 4 for years and I can't imagine playing with this character for years at all. My main feeling after playing 20-something hours of this combat is that Dante and Nero's combat mechanics are a polished sequel of where they were in DMC 4. It's great, I love using them and I applaud the design team for it. I can't say the same for the ENEMIES though. I am in love with the DMC 4 enemy roster, they feel alive, they're playful, they're loud, they each leave a strong, multi-faceted impression in the composition of the experience. With the enemies in this new game, I often have a hard time identifying their role and behaviors; whether they look similar to other enemies, or just fail to flaunt their stuff. I often feel like a new enemy has maybe one trick up their sleeve, and if that trick doesn't contribute a fun challenge, then all they are is another gray punching bag. The enemies' manures could've used another pass. The art direction on most of these guys seems to be more sanded down and contemporary than in DMC 4 too, and I just find it more boring to look at and less memorable. On boss fights: There are some good ones, and a couple great ones. They don't top the highs of DMC 3 or 4, but they deliver the goods. I wish I could take these playable characters into the combat zones of DMC 4, or that the developers would work on DLC that juices up the enemy roster. I'd really love that, but I don't expect it to happen. I'd more expect them to release returning fan-favorite playable characters, which I'm not as hungry for.
  20. Looking for TBS recommendations

I think so, if there's a game like Auto Chess that gives you more deterministic insight in what the consequences of your positioning or character synergies would be.
  21. Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

The friend stuff uses archaic friend codes! And different games have different, confusing ways of grouping up to play with friends. Although one advantage of using friend codes is that people can change their names whenever they want, (cough cough playstation cough cough) What games have you grabbed for the Switch so far?
  22. Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

Oh goodness, that would kill me. I only have two games for my (new!) Switch so far, and a Prime release would just, urgh. Also hi! I have a Switch! I don't have the online pass yet, just trying to space out luxury spending things (as the Switch ate up any disposable I did have, and then my PC keyboard died). No idea how the friend stuff works yet.
  23. Free Music Resource - Over 1800 Tracks

Greetings! I have some new free tracks in the Fantasy genre as well as Chiptunes: “ETHEREA” – If only places like this actually existed. Anyhow, this might sound nice in a fantasy game, visual novel or perhaps something else. soundimage.org/fantasy-8 “ARCADE SPACE ADVENTURES” – For just a quarter…those were the days…(I’ve been getting nostalgic for coin-op games.) Anyhow, I did this track “on the fly”…it might be fun in a 2D retro game of some kind. Enjoy! soundimage.org/chiptunes-3 “FUNKY PIXELTOWN” – Overflowing with characters who are just too cool for words…(at least in their own minds.) soundimage.org/chiptunes-3 Hope you’re having a good week!
  24. Looking for TBS recommendations

Yes, but could you have a tactics game like XCOM where you control zero characters? I think that's the more instructive edge between the two terms.
  25. Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

There have been numerous reports that Best Buy has a listing for Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch in their database so maybe. Those same reports also had Persona 5 and Link to the Past (with a note that there is a separate listing for the Link's Awakening remake).
  26. Strategy game Tactics game Action game Idle game
  27. Looking for TBS recommendations

I don't think the distinction is all that important to be honest, because there's a huge blurry area with stuff like setting up synergies between character builds in advance, choosing which direction each character engages from etc. Strategy's your high-level plan, at least as far as I loosely define it. Anyway going back to Clyde's original question, you can even have strategy games where you control zero characters, e.g. Majesty, Auto Chess, various tower defence games, Settlers...
  28. Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

Rumors abound that there's gonna be a Direct somewhere this week, and with that hopefully the Metroid Prime Trilogy HD will be announced!
  1. Load more activity