Sign in to follow this  
Rob Zacny

Episode 291: Europa Universalis IV in 2015

I wish I played more of the later start dates.  It is hard to shake the false notion that more game is the same as a better game.  There's lots of fun stuff in EU IV, and other games, that is readily available from a later start date but would be hard to develop from an earlier one.  Forming Holland, for example. 

oes anyone play any of the later starting dates?  I do this thing in all of Paradox games where I only play the earliest starting date possible.  Later dates just feel like I'm missing lot of the game out, even if it's arguably to my detriment.  Heart of Iron 3, for example, becomes much more interesting war-game IMO the later the starting date as you have more developed situations on your hand to deal with.  Yet I only play 1936 start (tried 1944 as Germany once and it was a blast til bug killed the game).

I would really like to but it doesn't work well. You usually have all provinces equipped with the same buildings, no decisions are made even if it makes sense for them to be made. Many historical events are ignored (Where's my Munster Commune?!) and some interesting times do not translate into mechanics and are immersion breaking - i.e. if you start the game 1 day before French Revolution you will discover that France is quite well and healthy. And "Interesting Nations" suggested by the game are a big lie, cause those are interesting historically and boring gameplay-wise.

Native Americans are especially unplayable at later dates as they always start without native ideas, even if they border USA in 1776.

I'd prefer Paradox to make only several starting points but developed ones. Still it's interesting to look at map while scrolling through dates.

Same thing here, I only start at later dates for some Achivements in Crusaders Kings II. Even in Hearts of Iron I start at the early date, but mostly because I haven´t really figure everything there, so start at later date I felt a bit overwhelming for me right now.

HoI3's later scenarios are really cool if you choose the historical underdogs, I highly recommend them.

I wish I played more of the later start dates.  It is hard to shake the false notion that more game is the same as a better game.  There's lots of fun stuff in EU IV, and other games, that is readily available from a later start date but would be hard to develop from an earlier one.  Forming Holland, for example. 

Yeah that's the notion that keeps me going to earliest date.

I would really like to but it doesn't work well. You usually have all provinces equipped with the same buildings, no decisions are made even if it makes sense for them to be made. Many historical events are ignored (Where's my Munster Commune?!) and some interesting times do not translate into mechanics and are immersion breaking - i.e. if you start the game 1 day before French Revolution you will discover that France is quite well and healthy. And "Interesting Nations" suggested by the game are a big lie, cause those are interesting historically and boring gameplay-wise.

Native Americans are especially unplayable at later dates as they always start without native ideas, even if they border USA in 1776.

Ah, so perhaps for EU4 later starting date might just be worse off unlike HoI3.  Interesting.

"Interesting" literally translates for EU4 as "easy"

idk, I love me some EU4, its my comfort game. It's the game that when I'm bored or just want some down time, I flip on and can casually develop my nation. Unlike CiV, I get...distracted? my interest is actually broken by having to click next turn over and over. I really enjoy EU's "realtime" aspect, as I can just let the game run. If I'm waiting on something to happen I don't have to keep clicking "Next turn" I can just let the game do its thing  while I watch TV or explain some history to the kiddo. .....or if I'm really into the game I can turn the dial up to eleven (5) and get to the interesting bits....

I've tried to enjoy...and I like the idea of, CK2...I really do...in my head, its the perfect game...however, I can drop EU4 for months, but when I want I can pick up my last save and pretty well get back into it. CK2? forget that shit...no way I can remember wtf was going on...its also, idk more stressful? somehow...having to figure all the shit out that's going on.....its great when I'm really in the mood but, I can fire up EU4 when I'm NOT in the mood and then get in the mood....CK2 I'll just quit if I'm not feeling it....I just find that a disaster in EU4 I can still find some enjoyment in the game, if I misclick or misread some blurb of text in CK2 your game is fucked, yeah you could come back, but its not enjoyable to me to untangle the yarn at that point....

On the other hand, watching a "lets play" of CK2 is WAY more entertaining than a EU4 "lets play"....I recommend the IdleThumbs 13 youtube videos where they play CK2, its pure gold. 

I've tried to enjoy...and I like the idea of, CK2...I really do...in my head, its the perfect game...however, I can drop EU4 for months, but when I want I can pick up my last save and pretty well get back into it. CK2? forget that shit...no way I can remember wtf was going on...its also, idk more stressful? somehow...having to figure all the shit out that's going on.....its great when I'm really in the mood but, I can fire up EU4 when I'm NOT in the mood and then get in the mood....CK2 I'll just quit if I'm not feeling it....I just find that a disaster in EU4 I can still find some enjoyment in the game, if I misclick or misread some blurb of text in CK2 your game is fucked, yeah you could come back, but its not enjoyable to me to untangle the yarn at that point....

This is because CK2 pretends it's a grand strategy game like EU but it's really not. Because of that you constantly have a feeling of playing a complex mode with numerous systems not intended to be there but added by someone who couldn't properly integrate them into interface.

In CK2 90% of your screen is map and personal decisions tab takes less than 10% of the screen. It's like playing a racing game as someone who sits in the car's trunk, looks out through the gap and talks to driver. The sad thing is Paradox isn't going to change it till probably CK3.

I've never played EU4 (I seem to be too stupid to understand Paradox games) but seeing the game and all it's dlc on sale for £18 today means I am going to have to give this episode and no.228 another listen tonight.