Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Risen 3: Rise Yet Again

I just heard this exists and is coming out in a month. Sadly the pirate theme seems to be dropped and it's back to more traditional Gothic/Risen fantasy stuff. My expectations are kind of torn:

1) Risen 2 was still really good, even as a fifth game for Piranha Bytes, maybe even their best, so I'm hoping this will be good!

2) Gothic 3 was the most ambitious but also the worst, and this is also numbered 3. Not to be confused with Half-Life 3.

3) Going back to generic fantasy seems boring.

4) Expecting it to be rather similar to all the previous games, which is also a bit boring -- each sequel (spiritual or not) has only added minor incremental improvements (if any) to how the game works.

I'm really disappointed about them dropping the pirate theme from 2. It was a large part of my decision to play it, and going to generic fantasy just feels... bland.

I played through both Risen 1 and 2 sometime in the past year, and really enjoyed both despite my best efforts. I agree it's disappointing to drop the pirate theme ('cause fuck yeah pirates), but it's not like it was a very strong theme. Most of it was still generic fantasy with a thin layer of pirate dribbled over the top.

Anyway I'm sorta interested and also sorta agh-another-big-RPG-that-I-actually-want-to-play.