Rob Zacny

Episode 247: Korsun Pocket

Actually an episode on the huge John Tiller game series mentioned also mentioned in this podcast would also be nice. The only one I've tried so far was Panzer Campaigns on an Android device, which didn't seem to be optimized pretty well for it (it plays like a PC game, with a lot of little icons for controlling the action). People who have got some Android tablet or smartphone should check it out, but it seems pretty hard to learn:

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/t-34s-from-the-tiller-man-panzer-campaigns-out-on-android-ios-soon/

It's got one of the longest help/tutorial texts I've ever seen in a mobile game.

Considering Korsun Pocket itself, I also got it and tried to get into it after learning from some interviews and posts from Tomislav Uzelac on the Unity Command forums that it's one of their biggest influences, but couldn't really manage to really play it so far (it seems pretty hard to get into). It's actually not the first SSG I've tried, played a lot of Panzer Battles on the C64 in the 90s (before I had a PC):

http://www.thelegacy.de/Museum/8139/?game_id=8139&multilanguage=1&system=2

I picked up this and Flashpoint Campaigns, based mostly on this string of episodes, from the Matrix Games sale. I'm loving both, and I'd definitely recommend grabbing Flashpoint while it's still at the 30 dollar price tag - its fifty dollar price tag is a little steep.

I'm looking to grab two more of SSG's games before and I've narrowed it down to Battlefront, Battles In Normandy, and Battles In Italy. Anyone have a recommendation on which two I should go for?

I hope there's a second Winter Of Wargaming on the way.

I assume you know Battlefront is at a lower level. Battalions I think?

I was actually just looking at Kharkov since it seems to be the latest iteration of the engine and their design. It's only one scenario**, but that's actually a selling point to me, and the $20 sale price is amazingly just right.

** I think they threw in a few freebies like they did for Korsun with the Bulge scenario.

I'm currently playing FCRS as well. Starting to come around to it a bit.

Yeah, I'm aware of the difference. I'd just like to explore more of their titles. Battlefront caught my eye for the variety of scenarios.