Sign in to follow this  
Dosed

PC Help

I'm not too sure how well appreciated posts like this are.. but I'll give it a go anyway and then you can all just hate me if it goes wrong.

So.. recently I bought components so I could build a gaming PC from scratch. However, I have encountered a few problems a long the way. I'll cut to the chase; I have this motherboard - ASUS M5 A99X EVO - and initially I had Corsair XMS3 RAM. The motherboard has a handy set of LEDs on it which light up next to a component if said component is causing a boot error. The light was constantly next to the RAM and I was confused as to why.

However, I, not being very tech savvy (read being a fucking moron), discovered I had damaged one of the pins on a stick of RAM. So I purchased the exact same sticks of RAM and had the exact same error only to discover that they're not compatible (according to the motherboards manual) with the motherboard. So I then ordered some RAM which was in the Qualified Vendors List of my MoBo's manual. Again, I put the sticks in and still nothing... The LED indicating that the RAM is causing the boot error is still glowing away.

Any one got any ideas as to what the problem could be? Anyone got any experience with a similar problem? Or any suggestions on how to fix it? I'm sorry to post this here but I'm at my wit's end now.

Did you check the motherboard manual for the correct RAM slot positions? Could be that the RAM is in the wrong slots, as it requires a specific order. To use my motherboard as an example, the slots are laid out as 1A, 2A, 1B, 2B and so on, but if I had 2 RAM thingies, in order for it to work properly I'd have to put the RAM in slots 1A and 1B and anything else wouldn't work.

Aye, mine had a similar problem, and the positioning diagram wasn't even in the manual! It was printed on a piece of folded paper that came in the same box. Turns out I had to put my RAM in slots B1 and D2. What the hell, ASUS?

Yeah, I've tried every possible position for the RAM but that still doesn't seem to have made a difference. I've tried them both in the blue slots, both in the black slots and singularly in each slot but it hasn't made a difference. Does anyone think that it might possibly be my motherboard rather than the RAM? Because if it is I am so done with this shit.

When you turn it on, does it let out any beeps? If so, how many? And what RAM did you get?

0DP4y29.png

If it's really not that, then I don't know what it could be, hmmm.

Nah, it doesn't make any beeps at all when I turn the PC on. I've got this RAM which is listed in the QVL in my motherboard's manual. Like I mentioned above the MoBo has a bunch of LEDs on it which light up next to the problem component and it always seems to be the RAM causing the problem. I was thinking though.. if it is the motherboard being a turd why would the error light just show up next to the RAM? Maybe I'm missing something really obvious because I am incredibly new to this whole dealio. Sorry to be so useless at this stuff, and thanks for even trying to help me out! I appreciate it.

Oh and there's a MemOK! button next to the RAM which I think allows you to tell your motherboard that the memory is acceptable if there is any problems. But when I press it I still get the error light. I've got my PC hooked up to a TV via an HDMI cable and I just never get any display at all on the TV, and the red error LED just remains on the motherboard. Just thought I'd give you guys as much detail as possible. 

Reading a couple of forum threads about this, it looks like the BIOS that the M5 A99X EVO shipped with is really fussy with regards to RAM, even on the QVL list. If you have another computer that you can download the latest BIOS on, maybe you could flash it?

Do you have a bios speaker? If so take out all the memory, if it beeps then it is likely the memory, if not it's likely the motherboard. Some of the Asus boards to need to be flashed to support piledriver or bulldozer depending on their batch.

I'd bet on the motherboard though. Also reseat the processor. 

I'm gonna do all this stuff when I get back from work tonight and let you guys know how it goes. I realise I'm letting my stupidity show here.. but how exactly would I go about flashing my PC? Even a link to a guide would help. As you can tell I'm new to this stuff.