Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Brent Weeks

Any fans of Brent Weeks?

I've just realised his new book 'The Blinding Knife' comes out in about a week, the second in his Lightbringer Series, and i'm mega hyped

I've absolutely loved all his other books (night Angel trilogy and The Black Prism) and highly recommend any fans of wizard assassins to check them out

Books i've read in the last few years to give you a sense of my taste...

David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas, Number9dream and Ghost written

Enders game, Jumper, Altered Carbon, All you need is kill

I've read 4 of Mike Carey's Felix Castor novels

Stephen kings Dark tower 1-7

Currently reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods

I actually did very much enjoy the Black Prism, so I'm happy to hear the sequel is coming out. The way he set up how colour magic works is pretty neat, and would actually be great fodder for video games.

When I finished the night angel trilogy I remember thinking that it would translate to movies so well.

I also remember recommending the books anyone and everyone, (which ive never done for any other book) I just had so much fun with them, I wanted to share it with the world :) ... Alas, no one bit.

But now I'm back with avengence, Im thinking idle thumb fans must be somewhat like minded. So check them out

I'm about a 40% of the way through the second (latest) prism book. its dragging a little, but i think that's more me reading really slowly. (i've just checked, its almost 700pages, thats why its taking me so long)

Apparently the old gods are coming :)

I was not a fan of the Night Angel Trilogy! After several attempts, I was unable to make it through the second book. 

The Lightbringer Series was lent to me without the authors name being mentioned. I was mildly horrified when I received it because I felt obligated to read it... but I'm glad I did! Because I enjoyed it very much.

I am very excited to read the latest book! 

Hey my old thread :) I'm currently reading book 3 of lightbringer, i'm only like 15% in. In quite an unexpected turn it seem like they're laying in an extra layer of mysticism by introducing gods into the mix, I'm not entirely sure yet that is what is happening and I kinda hope not, I prefer when its a little more grounded, the stakes don't seem to matter so much when gods are involved.

Really enjoying it though! I'm gonna go read it now. I rate both these series higher then the Mistborn trilogy that has a lofty reputation on goodreads

It's a shame you weren't enjoying the night angel books. I absolutely ate through those books like 6 years ago, I remember the third book being really fun

I'm way more into Lightbringer than I was into Night Angel. Night Angel had some good stuff, but the world building wasn't there for me. It didn't help that I kept imagining Weeks thinking "BADASS MAGIC NINJAS" the whole way through. Tales of the Otori was a series that had ME going "BADASS MAGIC NINJAS!" all the way through. That series is probably too much of a soap opera for most readers though.

To my mind, Lightbringer is Weeks looking at the Green Lantern power set, and going, "I can do better." And he totally does. All the outer ranges, physical properties, smells, and emotional states give this magic system some weight for me. Curious what white and black do! As well as what various other Mirror/Prism type beings there are.

So far I'm not sure that people are actually becoming gods, so much as imbuing themselves with so much magic that they become metaphorical avatars of what their magic represents, then calling themselves gods. The Blue God is the avatar of logic, Green freedom, etc.