Sno

Borderlands 2

I picked this up during the Steam sale.  I've been pleasantly surprised by the writing so far, although I'm getting a bit weary of this first little area I'm in--I am going to assume I should not continue doing every single side-quest.  I'm tempted to try playing it multiplayer, but since the thing I'm liking the most is the story, I worry that having other people running around in my game will distract from that.  I'm looking forward to getting further into it this weekend.

If you want to co-op Borderlands, play with friends. Public games will make you miserable.

With a good group is absolutely the right way to play, though.

We could try and get a thumbs game going, I got the game at launch but didn't finish it (I was busy one night and my friends played without me and I got left behind) so I'd be down to play.

Are any Thumbs thinking of going back to the Borderlands in search of new virtual loot and the possibility of real-world monetary and physical prizes?

And are any thinking of doing so with entirely new characters and right from the start? Because that would suit me just fine, already run through it on console but about to start again on PC.

(PS. I still have couple of extra copies for $2.50 if anyone fancies it)

Hmmmm this seems awful exploitative. Things like the Spelunky daily challenge encourage you to play daily by making it into a fun competition among friends. Guild Wars 2 releases new free content every month to keep population high.

This... they're just dangling a sweepstakes carrot in front of my face to get me to log on to the game? I mean, unless the challenges are some kind of leaderboard style competition. Even with that it seems kind of weird (since the explicit goal is to enter a sweepstakes).

It's why I never enjoyed the Steam ARGs, as good natured as they are. I don't want to play a game for some unrelated external benefit. I want to play it because something within the game's systems is compelling me to do so.

Oh I would agree with that, much of Borderlands 2 appears to be built around a too cynical Pavlovian feedback loop (especially in contrast to the first game) and I don't much see what either side has to gain from it.

At least, certainly that was my feeling playing through last year. Maybe things'll be different now..

Well, the first day's mission is a gentle introduction. After ensuring your account is linked to Gearbox' Shift network, you've to beat the first boss, Knuckledragger, from way back in the Windshear Wastes right at the start of the game.

Sure, later challenges are bound to involve the expansion packs - it's a good way to excite players and sell more copies. Taken in isolation I can't particularly begrudge them that extra revenue.