Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Online guitar resources

So, I used to play guitar quite a lot back in the day, but since starting university in '05 my free time fell off enough that I just sort of stopped. I feel pretty shitty about that, all things considered, as I still have 3 guitars kicking around that I haven't touched for years. At least, hadn't. I started picking it up again about a month ago because I just couldn't get one fucking song out of my head and thought that maybe learning to play it would help. I did that, and discovered that I really fucking missed being able to play a thing. It was a relief to discover that upon seeing a chord progression my fingers automatically knew what to do to make the pretty noises happen, but even back when I was playing for reals, I knew next to no theory. Time permitting (school starting up again in three weeks, but it's my last year before done for good!) I'd really like to pick up some real knowledge about what the hell to do with these large instruments that for the longest time were just taking up space in my apartment. I don't have a schedule that would permit me to take actual lessons with an actual dude, so does anyone have any good online resources for those interested in teaching themselves some guitar things?

Youtube is actually excellent for free guitar tutorials. You can pretty much search for and find anything you want on there.

My dad warned me that it was also excellent for terrible guitar tutorials, so many check the rating:p

Songs are easy to find, and skills just kind of come with practice. What I'm interested in skews towards the theory side of things. I like that I can pick up my guitar and fuck around a little and it sounds nice, but to be able to know why it does and be able to reproduce things with confidence is a goal, yeah.

I recommend watching this. It explains a lot of music theory in a very interesting and easy way.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-music-works-with-howard-goodall

I also recommend seeing a proper guitar tutor if you can afford it. Having theory explained to me by a knowledgeable person of whom I could ask questions and discuss things made it so much easier to understand.