Sign in to follow this  
AteBit

Outwitters (iOS)

Outwitters (iOS)

by OneManLeft

Turn-based Strategy. Free.

http://onemanleft.com/games/outwitters/

This game has been a long time in the making, and it shows in the polish. It initially comes with the pirate-fish team, with the robotic, and cutesy teams as pay to unlock extras. The teams are all mirrors of each other with the super units as the only differentiators.

• The pirates have a like long range mortar shellfish super unit (think Siege Tank).
  • The robots have a cyber brain who can permanently turn units to it's team (!!!), but leaves them with only 1 hit point.
  • The cutesy team has a narwhal who teleport a friendly unit to neighbouring hex.

They put a ton of effort into making a league/rank system a-la SC2 (which I have yet to delve into), and features 1v1 as well as 2v2 leagues. It's turn based so I haven't played enough of it to get a good feel for it, but I'm currently playing a few friendly (unranked) games vs random opponents, but wouldn't mind playing a few of you guys. My Game Center name is AteBitGeneral. Feel free to challenge, and humiliate me at your turn based leisure. If the game is fair enough, and it turns out I don't suck to much (or maybe just enough) I'd like to try some 2v2 league games. Expecting the wait times to be horrible in a 4 player turn-based game, but it's a small price to pay for team play.

Playing it now but it seems... average so far? Basic symmetric teams and standard advance wars-inspired resource management. I guess after playing something a little more complex like Summoner Wars this just seems rather basic to me. Anyway, hit me at n0wak on Game Center.

IT seems rather like that other game i enjoyed very briefly and then uninstalled. I like the Spongebob theme though.

I've downloaded it. My GameCenter username should be Gwardinen, as usual. I attempted to start 2v2 games with both of you but I don't know how successful it was.

I actually like the simplicity. It's a great aysnc game to play throughout the day, and actually hides a fair amount of strategic depth (especially in the 2v2 league games). My only concern is that the other two races have only minor differences from the free one, so there's not a lot of reason to pay, so they might not generate enough revenue to keep the lights on.

It wasn't the most exciting of games. I only lost one of my 12 or so games, so I trash talked n0wak some and uninstalled.

I agree, it has quite a bit of polish but not much depth to it. I was expecting more from this title.

The ladder and ranking though it had issues at/around launch, is quite a good implementation.

I still prefer hero academy. The ability to rewind turns makes the game much more approachable, and allows them to actually build depth upon simple interactions.

Outwitters is locked in movement due to fog of war, which honestly, is not worth it. I think Uniwar was slightly better at capitalizing on that style of play.