dibs

Starship Troopers

Roddenberry had nothing to do with Voyager, and neither should anyone else.

Yeah, I did not like Voyager at all, though I am by no means a Trekkie. I haven't even seen much of TOS. I grew up on TNG and I love the original cast films. The Trekkie friend I did have in school was intensely into Deep Space 9 but I just couldn't get into it, at all. Voyager, I didn't even want to try. And I gave Enterprise a shot.

Roddenberry had nothing to do with Voyager, and neither should anyone else.

I think the premise was alright and I gave it an honest shot at one point by watching the first few episodes, it has some merit, but not much.

The politics on display (Roddenberry's) were never shoved in your face (with a few sad/comical exceptions like Let That Be Your Last Battlefield), but they were always lingering just below the surface if you went looking for them. Thankfully, it's easy to not do that and just enjoy Shatner being Shatner.

What? Really? I'm pretty sure a large percentage of TOS had a moral of the story type ending that was related to social issues or politics. If that wasn't Roddenberry writing from his point of view, I'd be really surprised.

What? Really? I'm pretty sure a large percentage of TOS had a moral of the story type ending that was related to social issues or politics. If that wasn't Roddenberry writing from his point of view, I'd be really surprised.

I just mean they're easy enough to ignore if you want to, but a few episodes definitely go "Communism is bad!" or what have you. I'm into Star Trek for either the B-level camp (TOS) or the terrible, over-the-top drama (the rest of it) but TOS is definitely heavily politically driven. Hell, even in TNG/DS9 you can still see Roddenberry's politics influencing plot points for certain races.

Late to the party but I have to give more recommendations for The Forever War. Insanely good sci-fi. Possibly the best examination of the actual staggering distances involved in space, as in a ship fires a missile at another ship, then the crew waits for weeks to see if it was a hit, I've ever read. Really interesting stuff.