toblix

You sent a payment of 492.00 NOK to Microsoft Luxembourg S.a.r.l.

So I was watching an episode of Hung, a show fond of which I'm not yet sure I am, but in the episode my watching was of I saw this:

f8NFK.png

which at the time looked to me like Chris Remo getting fired, but maybe not so much when I get a closer look, when I got three emails from PayPal confirming I had bought 2000 points from Microsoft, then 2000 more, and then finally 6000 additional points. I realized someone had gained unauthorized entry into my personal Xbox security realm, and acted swiftly. I logged into my acc – holy shit, my password no longer works! So, I hit reset password and it tells me "sure, I'll send a reset message to your email tgd***ail.com, and also your other email that you just added, lol***ac.250 or something like that. I recheck my email, and now I just got an email asking me to confirm or deny adding this new email to the account. I click the DENY! button and go back and request another password reset, get the reset email, set it something incredibly new and secure, and took a deep breath.

Now, you would think I should be able to feel pretty safe at this point. Sure, I'm going to have to dispute the points purchasing (if I even bother – I could probably use those points at some point (lol)), but at least nobody could do whatever they were planning... which begs the question (or I guess, it technically doesn't) what was the hacker's plan. What was he going to do with those points? Buy me the Fenix Rising DLC for Gears of War 3? I'm not interested in that at all!

Anyway, just to make sure I went to the super secure Xbox page where they tell me what to do, and I discovered a horrible secret:

If you have your console set to log on to your Xbox Live account without a password (aka vis-a-vis how everyone has their Xbox set up) and you change that password, the console will still be able to log on!

That's right, there's a separate page on xbox.com that lets you reset logged-on consoles to prevent that, but to find it you have to be a internet web expert like I am. Seems weird that this doesn't happen automatically but I guess lol Microsoft Bill Gates.

f8NFK.png

Is there a way to convert xbox points back into money or gift cards or etc.?

I still find "S.a.r.l." really amusing, like "snarl." What happened to the good old Plc?

I still find "S.a.r.l." really amusing, like "snarl." What happened to the good old Plc?

The French language.

Something similar happened to me a couple of months ago. The points were used to buy packs of something to do with FIFA 12. I believe they're some sort of freely transferrable resource, which makes them one of the few worthwhile things to scam people out of on Xbox Live.

I want to go off on a tangent and point out that the Luxembourgish language is the weirdest thing in existence. It's like someone speaking French and German at the same time. Like hearing two people talking at once, my mind can't process it.

Here's a quick example.

cxIOX5rh8Gc&

:crazy:

Pimp out your XBLA avatar with the most expensive bling you can find!

But seriously, there has to be a way to get your money back, what if they had spent a fortune on MS banana bucks?

I want to go off on a tangent and point out that the Luxembourgish language is the weirdest thing in existence. It's like someone speaking French and German at the same time. Like hearing two people talking at once, my mind can't process it.:

Holy shit. That's totally bizarre. As a German speaker who has some French as well my brain just nearly exploded. You're totally right.

Hmm, I don't know why, but it sounds like German with a word or two in French to me. :erm:

Also, I had forgotten about the title of the thread and when I saw the email notification of "You sent a payment of....." I actually thought it was a email about a payment I made. :getmecoat

Yeah, Gwardinen, I speak both French and German. When hearing Luxembourgian, my brain is constantly trying to convince me I'm hearing the two languages all at once and it's driving me nuts. It's French! No, it's German! No French! German!

Even the HUGE GAZOINKAS on the lady do nothing to stop the mental hemorrhaging.

I first heard this when I was young. My family went on holiday in France almost every year. Driving there from the Netherlands we would inevitably cross Luxembourg and pick up their radio signal, filling the car with this unholy weirdness.

Oh! Oh! Families from the Netherlands driving on holiday in France..!

please tell me you were towing a caravan

(also I agree on the Frenman/Germnch language above, my brain also popped a gasket.)

Everyone in Germany that I know hates the Dutch for driving across the country in caravans every year. I find it hilarious, like the Dutch are secretly a migratory bird species.

i knowwwwwwwwwwww

Here's a secret:

The British on holiday in France got mad at them too, because they slowed down our daytrips to restock our binge-drinking stores with as much cheap duty-free booze as we could fit in the back of our cars. TOP TIP: you can fit more in if you make the kids sit in the boot, or even leave them in a hypermarché in Calais - they'll be fine there for a few weeks.

(NOT DUCHIST)

(ALSO NOT NETHERLANDISHIST)

(I HATE EVERYONE EQUALLY, EXCEPT J CLARKSON, WHOM (GRAMMAR) I HATE MORE.)

My Dad used to loudly complain about caravans with [whatever the heck the sticker was for Dutch vehicles - my original guess, "D," was probably actually Deutchland] stickers when they got in the way while he wanted to drive fast on the autoroutes; this was usually during the parts of our holidays when we were around Caen or Bordeaux. If I could still trust he'd be able to understand me, I would gleefully tell him I'd just discovered an internet chum may be one of them.

Well, sorry to disappoint, but we were miles above the camping crowd. We would always rent apartments or vacation houses we got via friends. We avoided any tourist traps like the plague, preferring instead to blend in with the local crowd. And French people loved us, in all my years I never met any of those fabled 'arrogant French' that people in my country (and outside?) always, always complain about.

It's entirely hilarious though that everyone hates the Dutch towing caravans :tup:

(The Dutch sign is actually NL, D is Deutschland)

You know what our favorite ethnic stereotype is? Germans coming to our shores and digging holes to sit in on the beach.

The same Germans who would turn up 3 hours before dawn to put their towels on the chairs by the pool?

Oh, er, I do want to clarify that I love all man as my brother and these xenophobic and nationality-based stereotypes are mainly being raised here in order that I may revel in the nostalgia of remembering my father's streams of expletives about, let's be honest, pretty much every other driver on the road once he got to hour 18 of nonstop driving

(really, if i am being racist, please someone tell me - I get the worrying feeling I'm this close (GESTURES) to something from Top Gear or the Daily Mail)

Edited by subbes

Ahh, the rich seam of intra-European xenophobia and ridiculous stereotyping.

(Is it true that denizens of every other mainland European country hates the Belgians? All my French chums swore it was.)

Mind you, I'm probably the very worst now, being both American and British: a loud, obnoxious, drunken football hooligan who knows no foreign languages, has terrible taste in food, and yet is incredibly obese.

P.S. Even if you actually were towing a caravan, I would still embrace you in the spirit of unity and respect etc etc etc, because really now

The Dutch have an entire library of comedy based on the "hilarious" notion that Belgians are retarded. I guess their secession from us 180 years ago still hurts like a motherfucker.

Toblix, after this and your Steam adventures, it seems to me that you should simply let others take control of your various accounts, as you are clearly unable to handle them yourself.

IF WE CAN'T HAVE YOU NO-ONE CAN

This is probably as good a time as any to mention that I live in The South, and regularly see the following kind of vehicle:

e56180.jpg

bearing bumper stickers with the Confederate flag on them, also gun racks and peeing Calvins.

Our BBQ is fucking awesome though.

Edited by subbes

Toblix, after this and your Steam adventures, it seems to me that you should simply let others take control of your various accounts, as you are clearly unable to handle them yourself.

Agreed. I'll make a list of usernames and passwords and PM them to everyone on the forums.

Oh, er, toblix, sorry for ruining your thread.

Did you get the culprit's e-mail address in the "a new address has been added" notification?