Tanukitsune

Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom: Forsaken to obscurity?

How on Earth is it possible that there isn't a thread for this game? Did someone create one with a "joke" title that didn't appear in the search result? I even searched manually to make sure! ;(

Anyway, this a game from an ex-Capcom founded company called Game Republic, which had a bit of controversy for being similar to Team Ico's Last Guardian. The game does have a bit of a Team Ico feel to it, although it felt like I play a weird combination of Ico and Zelda where Yorda is Link?

You are thief from a hard to pronounce and spell kingdom that has been taken over by darkness, you were raised by animals and can understand them. You animal friends have told you that there is a guardian in nearby temple that can stop this darkness, you find this creature, Teotl, but it's sealed and weak. The darkness has sealed his power in fruits that you must him so he'll regain his strength and powers.

The game is basically you and Teotl exploring the kingdom to get his powers back and defeat the "dark bosses" that seal the entrance to the big bad.

Yes, it's one of the games where the powers let you reach the next area and there is backtracking and collecting, but the reason I find this game so great that it's done so well!

The puzzles are never overly complicated, if you have to pull several levers to reach something it's pretty obvious, you might have to try again because you made a mistake, but there is no trial and error and the collecting is also pretty straight forward, you might need to stop and thing for a second or two, put you'll never need a guide.

The only annoying part about the game is a "memory collection", you must collect the memories of Teotl in the form of fireflies, which only appear at night, there is only 35 to collect, but you WILL have to stop and wait for the night to get them all.

The bosses are mildly puzzly, which is right amount of puzzly a boss should be. It's pretty easy to figure out how to defeat them and if you can't Teotl will give you a hint.

I really loved this game, the exploration in this game is just right, and so is just about every else in this game.

Seeing that this thread was created several months after the games release, I'm guess it just went under every bodies' radar, but now that it's so cheap, I really recommend that you try it out! :tup:

I tried the demo of this shortly before its release, almost as a joke. I found myself pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the game, though. Sadly after its release I simply never got around to trying the full game, as there were other games coming out and other things to be doing and it is just generally a low key game.

I definitely don't think it's going to distract me from Portal 2 once I actually get back to the UK, but at some point I'll probably play it as an inbetweener while I wait for another blockbuster.

I've been playing this game for a while (off and on; bought it like 5 months ago). I think it's ok'ish, not great. My biggest complain is the rather shitty controls. It took me a shit load of tries to jump over a swinging crate thingy. The game doesn't capture my attention enough to keep playing it.

What are you talking about? The barrel Teotl has to blown at to make it sway so you can jump on it? I only missed once because I jumped too early. :erm:

I played the demo and wrote about it:

http://badgercommander.net/badger-commanders-preview-majin-and-the-forsa

I bought the game on the day of release, and was pleasantly surprised to find out that my initial fears were unfounded.

Game Republic also developed Knights Contract, that I mentioned in the 'completed games' thread. It is also good but woefully misunderstood.

I need to get back to Majin and finish it at some point soon.

Oh and if you are interested in reading about Knights Contract, I am posting on Arcadian Rhythms in the next couple of weeks.

It is funny the way Gwardinen talks about Majin, it is exactly what I was worried about. Doesn't have the right cred to get it thumbs up from the more alternative scene and doesn't have JK Simmons and advertising push to get it out there.

Knights Contract has even less appeal, despite its assets.

What are you talking about? The barrel Teotl has to blown at to make it sway so you can jump on it? I only missed once because I jumped too early. :erm:

Well for me that guy just couldn't hold on to the ground and falls off of things quite fast.

For a thief he's simply terrible at moving.

Well for me that guy just couldn't hold on to the ground and falls off of things quite fast.

For a thief he's simply terrible at moving.

Strange, I never had any trouble with the thief...

The giant sometimes casts spells you didn't ask for and if you give an order an attack can interrupt it, he's slow but the game would be too easy if he was as fast as the thief.

It is funny the way Gwardinen talks about Majin, it is exactly what I was worried about. Doesn't have the right cred to get it thumbs up from the more alternative scene and doesn't have JK Simmons and advertising push to get it out there.

Yeah, I realise even as I'm saying it that I'm being unfair passing it over so, but that is the reality of the situation. Also it's not just the advertising and "cred", I genuinely don't think it's a great game - I think it's a good game, and it's a very charming game. As I said I enjoyed it more than I thought I would but I'm not prioritising Portal 2 because of JK Simmons (though admittedly it doesn't hurt), I'm prioritising it because I think I'll enjoy it more.

I will no doubt eventually play Majin, and I will enjoy it, but I am not seized by a terrible need to experience it right now.

I'd complain, but I pushed the game back too until my backlog cleared up a little, I guess this is in many people's "I'll get it eventually, maybe?" list, which explains why nobody is talking about it.:mock:

Yeah, I realise even as I'm saying it that I'm being unfair passing it over so, but that is the reality of the situation. Also it's not just the advertising and "cred", I genuinely don't think it's a great game - I think it's a good game, and it's a very charming game. As I said I enjoyed it more than I thought I would but I'm not prioritising Portal 2 because of JK Simmons (though admittedly it doesn't hurt), I'm prioritising it because I think I'll enjoy it more.

I will no doubt eventually play Majin, and I will enjoy it, but I am not seized by a terrible need to experience it right now.

Sorry, that came out as too much of a personal dig. I wasn't targetting you in particular but as I was playing the Majin I was simply sadden that this game really wasn't aimed at anyone, with no way to create buzz for itself it was doomed to be pushed aside for other games that had a target audience and had their sights clearly targetted on them.

The first that sprung to mind were games like Torchlight and Trine, these were never expected to do big numbers but through the correct marketing (doing things like the schaeffer brothers showing up on podcasts such as idle thumbs), they fostered a good roots movement.

Majin just showed up with nothing to generate good will towards it.

Tanu's description of the game is spot on, with the character interactions and level design reminding me of Ico mixed with Zelda.

Seeing that this thread was created several months after the games release, I'm guess it just went under every bodies' radar,

Not so much under the radar as "looks a bit shit, might get it when it's cheap". Gameplay videos like the Giant Bomb QL were uninspiring to say the least.

After seeing the concept art I'm not sure I could ever properly enjoy it.

I bought this game and played the first hour or so. But there was a lot of talking and not so much playing, which would be fine, except it was the usual generic fantasy game crap filtered through probably a bad translation, so it got irritating. The opening hours just felt really hand-holdy in an oppressive way, so I never got to the actual game bits. :-/

Whaat?

That concept art looks awesome!

Exactly! Why didn't they go with it?