ThunderPeel2001

Nostagia Gaming

Over the past few days I've become obsessed with the ZX Spectrum. This old 8-bit beauty was the system I grew up with, and it holds many happy memories for me. Yes, this isn't Retro Gaming, it's Nostalgia Gaming... it's not about playing older games, it's about bathing in nostalgia. I'm ashamed (and a little bit worried) to admit that I switch the emulator to full screen and let the games load in REAL TIME. Yes, I like that whine noise it makes... it's all part of the nostalgia experience.

Has anyone else ever done this, or have I gone a bit peculiar? ;(

Over the past few days I've become obsessed with the ZX Spectrum. This old 8-bit beauty was the system I grew up with, and it holds many happy memories for me. Yes, this isn't Retro Gaming, it's Nostalgia Gaming... it's not about playing older games, it's about bathing in nostalgia. I'm ashamed (and a little bit worried) to admit that I switch the emulator to full screen and let the games load in REAL TIME. Yes, I like that whine noise it makes... it's all part of the nostalgia experience.

Has anyone else ever done this, or have I gone a bit peculiar? ;(

You made it load in REAL TIME? A CASSETTE GAME? ARE YOU MAD? :eek:

Just to be sure... What exactly is the difference between nostalgia gaming and retro gaming? It's nostalgia gaming when it's something you played when you were younger and loved? Does replaying the old Lucasarts games count?

I replayed Golden Axe a while back with a friend. It was kind of a surreal experience: I was doing things without thinking about it, my muscle memory going through the motions to slaughter villains I hadn't killed since the 90s/the early 2000s. I simply remembered, when I got to each individual screen, how many people appeared from where and when to use the magic jar spells (?).

My friend was awful at it, though. He died a million times in and had Game Over'd by the time we go to the castle. He just sat there, whining, and basically forced me to quit the game, which is fine except I know full well he'd have continued playing had I been the dead one, but whatever.

We then moved onto Golden Axe 2, which had a more forgiving spell system and which he basically abused, leading us to finish the game in a half hour.

Anyway, it was a nice trip down memory lane. I'm one of those people who tends to be very suspicious of nostalgia, but it was a relaxing experience.

There was a retro event at a local university campus last friday.

I got my first taste on various crap like the old Sega and Nintendo light gun "cannons" from the 90's. Enforcer and Menacer I think the names were.

I don't have nostalgia for running C64 games from a tape. That takes forever, like Movie Monsters game took at least 30 minutes to load up. It's all craziness. I do have an overall nostalgia for all things technological from the old era, but I still like to really keep away from hell like C cassette loading times.

I barely remember my C64, it died on it's first game of Rainbow Islands but after that I had an Amstrad CPC 464, the one with a disquette drive, although I did have one or two tape games...

I remember loading the game, leaving to have a snack while I waited for it to load.

I've been thinking more about what I've been getting from finally completing old classics like "Skool Daze", and yep, it's definitely still lots of nostalgia.

To me the difference between Retro Gaming and Nostalgia Gaming is this: With Retro Gaming you're opening yourself up to classics from any older system. You're just looking for a new gaming experience, based on what other people say was good. With what I call "Nostalgia Gaming" you're doing it primarily because, well, it's like looking through old photographs: It reminds you of a certain period in your life.

That's why I've been happy to sit and watch the flashing screen borders like I did when I was 10. It's only partially to do with the gaming, and mostly to do with reliving an experience I had 20 something years ago, when I was younger, full of innocence, and the world seemed a pretty straight-forward sort of place. In other words: Good old fashioned rose-tinted glasses. And I have to say, it's been a huge amount of fun digging up these old games.

I'd literally forgotten the ones I used to play, and really had to sit and think to remember them... even though at one point in my life I must have known them like the back of my hand! I've no doubt that I'd spent tens of hours trying to master these things, and studied every aspect of them, but they were forgotten until I suddenly started to see them loading up again. Especially as they were doing so in precisely the same way they used to. Old, dusty areas of my brain were suddenly shocked into life, along with a surprising amount of long forgotten feelings.

Of course I've tried this sort of Retro Gaming in the past, but it had always been a rather disappointing experience. My Amiga 1200 struggled to handle running a Spectrum at the "right" speed, and even the things it could run well, something about the experience was off. It did little to ignite old passions, and instead just made me wonder what the hell people ever saw in those old games.

Years later I tried again on my PC, and still things weren't quite right.

Now emulation is doing a great job, which helps a lot, but there's other things I've learned: If you really want to enjoy these old games, then it requires a lot of patience (which due to me swimming in nostalgia, I thankfully had plenty of). They're not going to hook you in with dazzling sound and graphics, obviously, so they require you to take the time, to slow down, and really appreciate what they're trying to do. In other words, waiting for them to load is actually a great way to get you into the 1980s mindset.

Taking the time to read up on the controls and what have you, is also *essential* for these old games. They seldom included tutorials and really expected you to be reading the inlay while the game loaded. If you're going into them cold, with no understand of what's going on, you can expect a very underwhelming experience.

You may be thinking, "Yeah, I get that, but here's a question, aside from the nostalgia... Why bother?". Well something else struck me when I've been playing these old games: They're actually really good. Not only that, but if we rewound the technology clock 20 years, but kept everyone the same age, you'd all be agreeing with me.

We'd be getting as excited about Chase HQ and Operation Wolf as we would be about Red Dead Redemption and, er, We Dare. It's hard to imagine, but it's true. Some may find themselves looking back at those old games with a sneer, "They were for kids, look how basic they were!", but it's only because they were kids when the games were released.

These old classics were being created by, written about, and played by, guys in their 20s/30s. Sure, there was a huge teen market back then, and a smaller adult market than there is now, but that's because it was new technology. There were plenty of older players who were discovering the joys of gaming, too.

It's been a really interesting experience, especially seeing gaming stripped back to something closer to its core elements. (I think you could probably learn a lot about game design studying these old things.) Of course, if you want the full nostalgic experience, it helps to have a few ancient magazine back issues to hand, like I do. (Remember when Russia was a threat, Sylvester Stalone was a huge movie star, and Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan ruled the free world? No? Damn young 'uns!)

It seems now might be a great time to re-experience the gaming platform you grew up with, at least if Spectaculator is anything to go by: They're really got everything right now. I presume it's the same for your nostalgic games device (at least I hope it is).

I think I may have mined this experience for all it's worth now, but it was certainly fun while it lasted!

Well, maybe I'll give Target Renegade one last go for old time's sake...

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

It is a good post! I sometimes still play the Klik N Play games that Dan used to write (and I "consulted on") when we were 14ish. Although half the fonts and the speed are a bit borked, it's great to put on Kill 'Em All and play through them like I used to! Nine Inch Nails albums to Quake is another one (I was annoyed at the time of release that Reznor didn't do a full score for the game so I stuck all his albums on loop in my THREE DISC TRAY CD PLAYER).

Wow, I didn't know you guys had been working on things together for that long. What's the full "gameography" for the two of you?

My post is essentially a blog. I should have illustrated it with a few screenshots and posted it on my blog. Lol.

It's amazing how much enjoyment I started getting from those old Speccy games, though. A little preparation, and a bit of patience, makes a huge difference when it comes to enjoying them. They're still very good.

Kinda makes me wonder why I should buy new games, when there's so many old ones I've never given a proper go :hmph:

I sometimes still play the Klik N Play games that Dan used to write (and I "consulted on") when we were 14ish.

Post them! :tup:

It may interest you to know that there's still an active community of KNP developers over at Glorious Trainwrecks.

That sounds ace TP :tup:

I'm actually still quite excited about Operation Wolf, because I also used to see that in the arcade and could never get very far with the meagre amount of cash I had.

Can you tell me how/what you have to do to emulate the spectrum? I'm not particularly good at software stuff, so any tips would be good.

Did you ever play The curse of Sherwood? Holy shit that game was hard. I'd like to play it again as an adult and see if it's still spirit-crushingly difficult.

Post them! :tup:

It may interest you to know that there's still an active community of KNP developers over at Glorious Trainwrecks.

Oooooh! Thanks Noyb!

I might check with Dan if he minds me posting a list of titles and descriptions for interest value. The idea of actually posting one of the games has come up before on the Gibbage/Zombie-Cow forums, but it didn't happen, so that's probably a no-go for one reason or another. I'll remind him that people are interested, though!

That sounds ace TP :tup:

I'm actually still quite excited about Operation Wolf, because I also used to see that in the arcade and could never get very far with the meagre amount of cash I had.

Can you tell me how/what you have to do to emulate the spectrum? I'm not particularly good at software stuff, so any tips would be good.

Did you ever play The curse of Sherwood? Holy shit that game was hard. I'd like to play it again as an adult and see if it's still spirit-crushingly difficult.

Lol. Yes, there's a few games from my youth that I remember being far too difficult (or just brain-warpingly confusing -- Cosmic Wartoad, Gift from the Gods...). I've never played Curse of Sherwood, but I'd like to give some of my old adversaries another go. (I did complete Skool Daze, with the help of an old POKE I found, after I discovered a copy of the manual online -- You'd never know what you were supposed to do without it!)

As for Spectrum emulation, it's all about Spectaculator. Note: It is technically payware, but you can use it for 30 days for free, and to be honest that feels more than enough. (I imagine after 30 days you'll be: Totally addicted and happy to buy it, or, Happy to forget about the Spectrum for another couple of years.)

You can legally download Spectrum games from World of Spectrum, too.

To tell the truth, I always wanted a Spectrum instead of the Amstrad CPC I had as a kid, there always seemed to be more Spectrum games than Amstrad games back then, and the magazines came with free Spectrum games too! That's all that mattered to me back then!

But I just remembered something, this was kinda like a golden age in a way, it was a time Spain actually made LOTS of it's own games! We had enough games to not need other countries...

I never played a Spectrum game, but L'Abbay Des Morts is made to look just like one!

Dammit, I think I'm feeling truly nostalgic too! I'm in the mood for Jet Set Willy! And just looking at the names at the site is bringing even more memories of games I played as a kid or wanted to play! Monty Mole! Dizzy!

XpsN14TFy90

:gaming:

EDIT: Damn, that was the C64 version of the song, I must admit, I have no idea how a Spectrum sounds.... To Youtube!

TMUJYmHYp7Y

:eek:

Um...

j4aEHXpRaUg

There! That's more like it!

:woohoo:

Edited by Tanukitsune

Having looked at the site, I realise I was aware of it because Rob Fearon (Retro Remakes/Mersey Remakes) participated in the "529 in 1 Klik and Play Pirate Kart" thing and posted about it on the ZC forums. I'm deffo going to take a closer look now though!

So, I spoke to Dan, and posting those games may happen at some point in the future.

In the meantime, I'll write a little bit about them here (this may just be for TP's interest, will definite reflect the 'tldr' thread tag, and may require a 'self-indulgence' one to be added).

So, most of these were Klik N Play, although the later ones may have been Games Factory, all were platformers, and were mostly Dan's work with my suggestions/playtesting/bits of artwork etc. We were about 14 when we started.

Splodge: starring a Flood rip-off green character. Featured an hilarious satire on the film Speed where you had to jump on a bus, and the words "Get ready For Splodge Hour" were emblazoned proudly in lime green Comic Sans across the top of the screen.

The Adventures Of Rachel In London: based on my girlfriend's weekend trip to London, where I have to rescue her from flashers and/or Dan. We thought it was hilarious, she seemed unimpressed. I am no longer with Rachel.

COR!: A series starring Dan's then-girlfriend with me and Dan popping up occasionally. A few inventory puzzles, lots of Sesame Street references, and an exclamation mark in the title.

Big Ben in Birthday Rock!: A birthday pressie for me, where I have to run round picking up pints of lager.

Tigger Happy: A Pang rip-off.

The "Little Guy, Big Gun" Trilogy: This was a major one, a sci-fi series that Dan put a lot of effort into and got put on the KnP newsletter disc (or however it worked). It was a big storyline about alien invasion and government cover-up - typical X-Files fever stuff, although Dan had been into that stuff already. He had to work to deadlines and got outside feedback for the first time.

Gibbage - Pour Hommes: Title from a PC Zone cover tag or spine line or something. Not the first deathmatch platformer that Dan made, but the first good one, with powercubes and different level obstacles etc. Refined a while after with "Dies Irae", which went full-screen and had more polish.

Retro-A-Go-Go: fun co-op platformer starring me and Dan with big bouncy heads on an alien spaceship, with a different game style for each level (keep an NPC safe, turn off all the spawn machines, etc).

There were some others that never got finished or were along the same lines, but I'll stop there. I have to say, we could deffo do a developer's commentary or something, where we point out how these games led to the Zombie Cow stuff and how KnP is a really good tool for teaching yourself design instincts without having to learn how to code.

Noyb, couldn't get Fatty Rain or Trail to work. Got some error message about "This version of the file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher." Got Canabalt For Pink Daleks working, though...

Back on topic, I'm planning to get my A500 out at some point and play through all my old games and AP coverdiscs on that...

Edited by bbX1138

I'd love to nostalgia game, but it seems like a bit of a cheat to run an emulated version.

Buuuuuuut, maybe I could emulate Rise of the Robots? (Gnuck. - Ed.)

I'd love to nostalgia game, but it seems like a bit of a cheat to run an emulated version.

I try not to emulate older games I own, but they look just dreadful on bigger monitors and so beautiful on an emulator, the only issues you might have is with the controller.

Ah, I see you're not familiar with the game to which I am referring.

Here, allow me*. You really wouldn't want to emulate it, unless emulators of nowadays have a "do not be shit" switch that, when flipped, turn every game into Cannon Fodder or your game of choice.

(There's no Spectaculator for Mac. I'm trying with MacMESS because there's no way I'm going to emulate Windows just to run an emulator inside it. That way madness lies.)

* Yes, this is a link to a page somewhere in the middle of a multi-layered wormhole of a site. I'm sure you'll cope.

Edited by subbes

Ah, I see you're not familiar with the game to which I am referring.

Here, allow me*. You really wouldn't want to emulate it, unless emulators of nowadays have a "do not be shit" switch that, when flipped, turn every game into Cannon Fodder or your game of choice.

(There's no Spectaculator for Mac. I'm trying with MacMESS because there's no way I'm going to emulate Windows just to run an emulator inside it. That way madness lies.)

* Yes, this is a link to a page somewhere in the middle of a multi-layered wormhole of a site. I'm sure you'll cope.

Wow... I had to give up on that page... Is there more than one game named like that? I'm sure I've heard of this robot VS. fighter before, which version are you trying to emulate?

Would it be too wrong to emulate the SNES version if you are having trouble with the Megadrive version or viceversa?

Not when the emulation is so spot-on (as in Spectaculator's case). Also not when I'm sitting there for 8 minutes watching the game load :grin:

Yuk, yuk. If you won't rise to that, would you shrink to Microcosm?

So, I spoke to Dan, and posting those games may happen at some point in the future.

There were some others that never got finished or were along the same lines, but I'll stop there. I have to say, we could deffo do a developer's commentary or something, where we point out how these games led to the Zombie Cow stuff and how KnP is a really good tool for teaching yourself design instincts without having to learn how to code.

Awesome stuff. I'd love to see an explanation of when/why you moved on from Clickteam products if this goes up. :tup:

Noyb, couldn't get Fatty Rain or Trail to work. Got some error message about "This version of the file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher." Got Canabalt For Pink Daleks working, though...

Do any of the KNP games on the Pirate Kart run? KNP games don't run on 64-bit systems. If you're running one, there's a guide on Glorious Trainwrecks. KNP games are also by nature open-source, so it's possible to open them up and run them in any of the later Clickteam apps.

I did port The Trail to Flash using the TGF2->Newgrounds exporter. Works pretty well, although you need to manually convert all of the MIDIs you inevitably used to wav/MP3, and some behavior might be different (i.e. no climbing up the walls with the default platformer engine.

Word of warning: some computers (including many of the FlashGameLicense staff reviewers' computers) experience a lot of slowdown with exported games. Didn't affect me (who has yet to earn a dime from amateur game design), but it threw a wrench in the monetary plans of a few developers.

Do any of the KNP games on the Pirate Kart run? KNP games don't run on 64-bit systems. If you're running one, there's a guide on Glorious Trainwrecks. KNP games are also by nature open-source, so it's possible to open them up and run them in any of the later Clickteam apps.

Canabalt For Pink Daleks by RobF was on the Pirate Kart, I think, and I got that running. I'll take a look at that link, ta. And I've played The Trail in flash - very funny!

So I've avoided posting here because my post boils down to "I have rose-tinted cornea when it comes to old games" but uh. . .

U1JdN.png

I'm playing RCT1 again, suffice to say.