Sign in to follow this  
K-bohls!

Atom Zombie Smasher

In my opinion Atom Zombie Smasher, the newest game by Brendon Chung the mind behind Gravity Bone and Flotilla, is also his best. The problem I had with Flotilla was that it was incredibly difficult and incredibly punishing, you lose a battle and tough shit; start over from the beginning.

Atom Zombie Smasher maintains a level of difficulty but is much less punishing and much easier to enjoy and be successful at. And also has Brendon's "signature" art style, and by that I mean the whole game has a huge level of polish when it comes to art and presentation. So here is to hoping that some fellow Thumbs picked it up (which you should have) and would like to share their opinions.

Also that theme song is amazing.:tup:

I hear tell it has co-op?

If by 'tell' you mean the fact that it's in the trailer, then yes. :grin:

Edited by Thompson

Wow, it looks like a cool new twist on strategic zombie killn'. I loved flotilla, and I am looking fowerd to this. I never played gravity bone, was that any good

Wow, it looks like a cool new twist on strategic zombie killn'. I loved flotilla, and I am looking fowerd to this. I never played gravity bone, was that any good

Gravity Bone is great. You can also complete it in a single sitting, and it's free, so you might as well play it.

Though for the record, it may have some stability issues. I've attempted many times to complete Gravity Bone and still haven't. It isn't hard or anything, it's just crashed before I could complete it every time.

Just played Gravity Bone, very interesting. Would I have gotten references if I'd seen Citizen Kane or was it completely original?

Also, and I'm sure this is something that gets asked a lot but I can't help myself, what the hell is the name about? What is a Gravity Bone?

Just played Gravity Bone, very interesting. Would I have gotten references if I'd seen Citizen Kane or was it completely original?

Also, and I'm sure this is something that gets asked a lot but I can't help myself, what the hell is the name about? What is a Gravity Bone?

I don't remember there being any Citizen Kane references.

I hear tell it has co-op?

I think it is only local co-op which is a bit of a disappointment, but that is the only way to do multi-player for this type of game. It would stink for someone to use up your artillery shells or dynamite without you knowing in advance.

I don't remember there being any Citizen Kane references.

I believe this is a reference to the title being Citizen Abel. Just a bad joke, no film viewing necessary. Still, what the hell are you doing not having seen Citizen Kane, Gwardinen? Go educate yourself, post-haste.

I just got Atom Zombie Smasher on steam, but it runs real bad on my new machine. It is a descent, and runs Starcraft 2 on high just well. Is any one else having problems with it

You might have some luck contacting the developer directly with your system specs.

I just got Atom Zombie Smasher on steam, but it runs real bad on my new machine. It is a descent, and runs Starcraft 2 on high just well. Is any one else having problems with it

yeah there are some known issues. Brendon is trying to keep up with them, go to Blendo's forum, there's some threads there. the demo is pretty much broken on my machine, even after trying all the fixes he suggested. I'll probably buy it once it gets patched, because from what I could tell it was pretty cool

Edited by a purple future

Apparently I bought this at some point, and I just played it and holy maloney, this game is slick. I love it when there's so much love and attention put into every single GUI element.

Also, my campaign is going to shit, but still.

The demo has the dubious honour of being the first program to blue screen my new computer. I'll check out the forums tomorrow but I'm nervous.

I lost in the end, not surprisingly. The game is great, but something's still bugging me... in the city mode, or whatever it's called, when you go in and rescue people, there are two phases; in the first one you place the pick-up zone and all your mercenaries and hit go, at which point the zombies start coming. Now, in this mode, you can still do a lot of stuff, like firing artillery, detonating explosives, moving mercenaries around, etc. During this last phase, though, it always felt like when you hit go, things would go down so fast, most of these things were almost useless. All, of the cities are of pretty similar size and layout, and you can only do so much to control the flow of zombies. I usually get two full or near-full choppers from the initial spot, and then there's usually an insignificant number of stragglers I can try to rescue, but there's no way I have the time to move stuff around or do anything tactical. The weapons are too slow and imprecise to use in any useful way, I think.

I could just be sucking.