Sign in to follow this  
Wubbles

School Shooter: North American Tour 2012

Seems like a game that's chasing media attention by way of being about something sensational rather than by way of being any good (which it may or may not be, but they're clearly not relying on quality for coverage).

Doesn't particularly bother me, films and books do it all the time, as do news media themselves. It's just kind of ironic that the interviewee then goes out of his way to criticise the media for being sensationalist.

Only real downside: games are a young medium, they have enough trouble with this kind of criticism when it's not warranted. Looking for that attention will only make it take longer for the medium to be "accepted".

I'm surprised at how well the developer handled the interview.

Though I personally am opposed to this type of game and think it feeds the wrong type of personalities, I still have to defend the right for this game to exist. The issue with violence like school shootings is that our society is still very restrictive and judgmental. If we emphasize personal responsibility and allow people to use what they want to use, there is a strong sociological argument that sociopathic behavior would be largely curbed.

I think bringing things like this out in the open without immediately demonizing the game (it's a game, after all) would allow a much more healing atmosphere, where someone that would commit an awful crime could feel much safer asking for help.

If we can't draw a distinct line between games and reality we need to re-think our socializing methods/structures - from parents and churches to schools and popular media. Currently, if someone has homicidal tendencies there is very little they can do to seek help rather than be instantly labeled a monster.

Then again, I'm not a sociopath (as far as I can tell) so I wouldn't exactly know what pushes someone over the limits of fantasy and into actually carrying out an act of hatred. I just think many of us are taught to bottle up hatred and think that we're damaged or somehow defective if we have violent tendencies. A deliberative society that encourages discussion would have a much lower rate of such crime, I'd think.